2.5: A Lady, a Letter and a Gown

For the last several weeks, whilst Legolas had been immersed in his endeavors in the forest, Wren had been relegated to various other activities and for the most part, had spent scant time with him. In the evenings, however, they often ate together, either with Strider or at Wren's home with Nerwen. Indeed, she looked forward to the days when the weather would be poor and they might be forced to stay indoors. However, this was rare, a few older villagers even claimed the winter was the mildest they had experienced, apparently a good omen for the year ahead. Wedding preparations had gathered speed and intensity in recent weeks, with Nerwen at the helm and Gelwin her young and enthusiastic assistant. Wren, however, had frequently sought opportunities such as hunting and patrol duty to evade any and all discussions.

By prior agreement, Legolas had gently prohibited Wren from entering a certain portion of the forest. She had acquiesced, even though her own curiosity was steadily eating away at  her. Although she did not know the details, Wren was astute enough to know that Legolas was building a cabin for them. Not only was she well aware that no suitable housing existed for them within the village, but she had seen Legolas and various villagers traipsing in and out of the forest for several weeks carrying axes, saws and various other hand tools. Moreover, she had overheard various conversations, that she assumed were not been meant for her ears. The most recent one had included the sons of Elrond, and her mother and her betrothed. Wren had been out stalking deer in the forest and upon her return she had caught the edge of a heated discussion in Nerwen's kitchen, as she approached the door.

"How on earth can you expect to survive the depths of winter out there in the forest, you could be isolated for days if not weeks?" She heard her mother say. Her voice sounded agitated.

"Snow does not present the same challenges for elves as it does for mortals." That might have been Elrohir, or possibly Elladan.

"Wren is mortal, she will die of cold even if you don't feel it."

"I had heard there were other ways for newly-weds to keep warm..." said Elladan.

Wren heard an uncomfortable cough, she was certain it came from Legolas.

"Nerwen, I have already arranged for the village smithy to build a small wood-fired stove. I can assure you that I will not let your daughter freeze." 

"What about safety, you are so vulnerable out there to a lone attack?" Nerwen was not giving up easily.

"Again, Nerwen I have made arrangements, we will be perfectly safe."

"Not least because Legolas does not sleep much and he is pretty handy with a bow and a sword, or so I have heard..." Elrohir said either intentionally or unknowingly stoking a fire.

"Although, he might be distracted..." said Elladan. Wren thought she heard sniggers from both the twins.

"Enough! I have had enough of your inferences!" Her mother said abruptly, her patience evaporated. "Out, all of you, before Wren returns..."

Wren suddenly realized that Nerwen was shooing the elves out her cabin and so she quickly took a step away from the door, so as not to be caught in the act of eavesdropping. The door opened, the startled and abashed faces of the twins would have told Wren all she needed to know even if she had not heard the latter part of the conversation herself. Their surprise at seeing her rapidly evaporated into wide grins, but they hastily made themselves scarce as Legolas followed them out the door. He offered her a quizzical eyebrow as soon as he saw her,  it was plain from his eyes alone that he was acutely aware that she had heard more than she should have. As he advanced towards her, with an almost menacing smile on his face; she instinctively took a step backwards and bumped into the wooden pole that held up the small awning above the door, her escape blocked.