16: A Heavy Burden

Wren's grandmother had departed less than a week, when Strider took a small party of Rangers with him to the nearest reach of the Baranduin River. The Baranduin flowed out of Lake Evendim all the way to the Shire. It had two major crossings into the Shire, which were in the lower part of the river, the Brandywine Bridge on the East Road and the Bucklebury ferry. However in the upper reaches of the Baranduin, the river was narrow enough that it was passable in places by fallen trees, or those more nimble of foot could cross over submerged rocks and boulders.

They left early with the horses and reached the river's edge just after midday. They were surprised to find a raging torrent rather than the usual rambling mountain river they were familiar with.

"Well that'll be the result of two weeks of non-stop rain..." A thick muscled grey-haired Ranger, the resident storyteller, Daernon observed.

"How will we cross?" asked Rodorin, Wren's curly haired cousin asked.

Strider gazed thoughtfully at the roaring, spluttering mass of foam. His intention had been to cross over into the northern reaches of the Shire and survey the area. He had no desire to, and neither did they have the supplies, to make the much longer trip to the bridge or the ferry in the south of the Shire.

"Wren, go south with Rodorin and Daernon, no more than a league. If you find a crossing point or fail to; come and find us. Legolas and I will go north and do likewise."

Legolas and Strider began to weave their way up the river, along the rocky banks of the turbulent Baranduin. After a short time it became impossible for the horses to navigate the jagged outcrops and debris that the river had deposited in the wake of the previous storm. Strider thought it prudent to harness the horses to a suitable tree and return to them, should they be successful. They continued on foot, Legolas as ever nimble and effortless in his movements continued out in front, leaping from one boulder to the next and over small gullies. It was only after he turned some minutes later, that he noticed that the able bodied Strider was lagging far behind. He paused on a large rock to wait for him. Strider arrived a couple of minutes later. Legolas was about to continue, but then having appraised the Ranger Captain's current state, he realized that a moment of respite was called for.

"A moment if you will, Legolas," confirmed Strider panting.

"Take however long you need old man... or is it young man?" teased Legolas.

"Gah! Elves and their other worldly agility, its impossible to keep up with you!" Strider responded.

Legolas sat on the rock with Strider as the Ranger Captain recovered himself. They watched water, as it ran fast and violently flung itself around the few visible rocks, no longer the meandering tributary. Without warning or preamble, Strider spoke.

"Why are you here Legolas? What is the real reason you came to find the Dúnedain? What are you seeking or running from?"

Legolas was initially taken aback by the forthright questioning. He paused before he cautiously responded.

"You have taken a considerable duration of time to ask me that question mellon nín.*"

"And you have had considerable time to ponder the answer." Strider smiled in response.

Legolas shrugged his shoulders and smiled in defeat, Strider had a fair point.

"I came seeking you."

Strider raised his eyebrows expectantly.

"I could no longer stay in my Father's realm and remain true to myself. My Father's chosen path was in conflict with my own. However as I departed, my father advised me to go north and to find you. He told me before I left, that your father was a good man and his son might be a great one."

Strider smiled and they listened to the roar of the river for sometime, before he spoke. "Have you considered mellon, that perhaps there was a dual meaning to your father's words?" Legolas looked perplexed. Strider continued, "Perhaps he made reference to you as well as myself."

Legolas paused to ponder the possible truth in this. His relationship with his Father had certainly been complex. That his Father had perhaps wished Legolas to aspire to more than Thranduil himself had achieved, gave the elf prince a small measure of comfort and pride.

Furthermore Legolas realized that he no longer felt compelled to mention Tauriel as one of his reasons for leaving. The grief he had witnessed and felt, had been a significant part of what drove him to flee Ravenhill and leave the Greenwood. But after the passing of time spent with the Dúnedain, that particular memory had begun to feel very distant indeed. So much so, that the elf prince lacked the conviction to mention it to Strider.

"The acknowledged potential for greatness is an honor, but is also a heavy burden to carry," said Strider breaking into the elf's thoughts, although speaking almost to himself.

"Estel ... hope to mortal men," mused Legolas. That certainly was a weighty burden to carry, Legolas was not sure it was one that he would have the strength for.

Strider smiled, although through the smile and his eyes, Legolas saw not only the enormity of the burden, but the strength and courage to face whatever might lie ahead. He felt privileged to call this mortal a friend and companion.

Legolas ventured to ask Strider a question, that he presumed to be equally weighted. "How fared your business discussions with Lord Elrond?"

Strider's face clouded over as he responded, "Poor. He was not amenable at all."

"Perhaps in time he will change his mind..."

"I fear that is unlikely," Strider said ruefully, and with that, he abruptly rose to his feet. "Come Legolas, let us continue up the river and find a crossing."

It did not take them long. A large copper beech tree had been uprooted and fallen across the stretch of the river. It looked damp and rotten, most likely the reason for its recent upheaval. The water and river debris had piled up around it upstream, pressing against along the width of the trunk so that the lower half was partially submerged. Legolas eyed it warily. Strider looked apprehensively at Legolas.

"It is our best option, it is unlikely we will get another chance to cross."

"I should go and call the others," suggested Legolas, "I will be faster without you." Strider nodded.

"I examine it and make sure it is safe to cross, " Strider said cautiously.

Legolas turned and began to move quickly down the riverbank, unhindered now by his companion. He was a couple of hundred yards down the river, when his ears registered a low but growing rumble. He turned in alarm and caught sight of Strider upstream, standing in the middle of the prostrate beech tree. At that same instant, he saw a mighty log careering down river behind him and slam into the makeshift bridge. The bridge groaned momentarily and then it was torn apart by wooden projectile, and the dam of water stored behind it, was released. Strider was launched off the log, into a boiling pot of white fury, boulders and timber.

-0-0-0-0-0-

*mellon nín ~ my friend

Did you enjoy some dude bonding, too bad it had to end... Mwahahahaha... Don't worry, I won't make you wait too long!

 I would love to receive your comments and please VOTE on this chapter if you enjoyed it. Voting/Comments are the only way I have of finding out who is on this journey with me, and are such a great encouragement to keep writing! I really appreciate them!

DEDICATION: To EspiRay who was my first binge reader and read my story in 24 hours!!! It was so exciting to see the votes come trickling in!  Thank you!!!