Strangers on a Train

V

Strangers on a Train

"What do you know about white wolves?" Harry asked the ugly face in the fireplace, keeping his voice low so as not to wake the children.

"Not a very becoming color," the almost-canine face replied, with an expression that pretty much confirmed Harry's suspicions about the dog from Diagon Alley. "Why?"

"Be glad that I know it couldn't have been you," Harry threatened him.

"Has Teddy hit a bad change yet?" Greyback asked, changing the subject. "Is that why you called?"

"No," Harry replied, "He's been remembering the changes, you know, and we've got the potion ready just in case it goes bad."

"You shouldn't have waited so long to tell him."

"I know that now," Harry told him. Then, to his surprise, Greyback nodded.

"You've done the right thing, Potter, or close enough. Well done."

Harry then told the werewolf the whole story, somehow feeling that it was also the right thing. Greyback's promise - for what it was worth - echoed in his mind, and his words had proven true. He also mentioned having a dog, which pleased Greyback. Then he mentioned the potion again.

"Counterproductive, didn't I just tell you? You'll make Teddy sick. Just keep doing what you're doing, and make sure he's happy with the inner wolf. You have to let him run with his instincts if he's to fully reconcile this, you idiot! Otherwise, he could turn on you. You've come this far, don't blow it!"

"He's a bit scared now that he understands it all," Harry replied, "And I don't blame him. I'm scared. I've been up close and personal with fully realized werewolves, you know - and ones much past the puppy stage!"

"The only downside is that now he'll fully remember the pain," Greyback added, and Harry nodded with a sad sigh. "And by the way, don't let him eat chili dogs?"

Harry closed the connection and threw his hat across the room. For as hard as he'd tried, for all of the favors he'd called in, everyone still thought he was barking mad after "The Great Chili Dog Incident" at Muggle Munchies. He'd even found a small plaque on his desk that next day that read "Dog-catcher".

But the conversation had told Harry one thing - someone else other than he and Hermione was in communication with Greyback in Azkaban, in direct violation of his orders.

"Maybe Teddy won't need it after all," Harry mumbled to himself, looking out the window at the almost-full moon shining overhead. He then quietly followed the dirty footprints up the stairs to Teddy's room and peeked in.

Teddy Lupin was sleeping, but it wasn't a good sleep, Harry could tell. The boy was moaning, his eyes darting madly behind the closed lids, and it was evident that he was having a bad dream. On the end of his bed, Argos looked up questioningly. Teddy was mumbling, and Harry's blood ran cold as he heard the boy say a rare word that he'd only said in questions before:

"Daddy?"

But it was what came next that sent Harry running back to the Floo to make a call that dragged Hermione and Ron out of bed:

"Don't say that! I hate you!" Teddy whimpered, "Leave me alone! You can't come tonight! I hate you! I'll bite you!"

Teddy then growled, a low and guttural sound that made Harry move closer; he then broke out in goosebumps at what he saw when Teddy woke up, sitting bolt upright in terror: Teddy's canine teeth had sharpened into fangs, and his eyes were glowing a brilliant amber. There was a dark dusting of hair on his upper lip, and his ears were distinctly pointed.