Full Moon Rising

XIII

Full Moon Rising

Teddy Lupin awoke that next morning with no idea of where of he was or how he'd gotten there. As he sat up and rubbed his eyes, he realized that he was at Hagrid's place. Then he saw Kreacher, and it all came rushing back to him at once.

"Master Teddy did it!" Kreacher congratulated him. "Harry Potter is telling Kreacher all about how Master Teddy turned himself into a wolf on purpose!"

"Yeah, and it only took me eight years to learn to do it," Teddy groaned, clutching his blanket as he realized that his clothes seemed to be missing. Kreacher snapped his fingers and a clean school uniform appeared. Teddy was just about to get up and get dressed when another thought came to him.

"The Dementor?" He gasped, "Lee and Ciaran?"

"Yeh killed it, Teddy!" Hagrid spoke up happily, as he came in the back door carrying a steaming bucket and sniffing. "Washtub, out back fer yeh," he added, pointing in that direction.

Teddy sniffed too, and realized that he did sort of need a bath. There was also a bad aftertaste in his mouth.

"An' Harry said yeh could have this," Hagrid added, as he gave Teddy a small chocolate bar. "But jus' this one!"

As they headed back to the castle for breakfast, Teddy was amazed at how good he felt. Normally he lost the entire day after a transformation, but that morning, he felt great. He wasn't tired at all, but he was ravenous.

He met Freddie and Jack in the Great Hall, but Lee and Ciaran weren't there.

"That was just wicked, Teddy!" a much better looking Freddie congratulated him, explaining that the others were still in Hospital and that he'd been released early.

"We didn't get it off them fast enough," Teddy sighed. Then his eyes went wide. "You got...the things?" He whispered to Freddie, who nodded. Jack just sat there quietly. If he had any thoughts on the night's adventures, he wasn't saying anything about it.

"Put up safe'n'sound, mate," Freddie assured him, "Now, let's eat!"

As they were bolting down breakfast, Nightwing came by with a letter for Teddy:

"Harry informed me.

Congratulations, Teddy!

A twelve year old...what do I call you now?

a ‘Metawolf'?

Your parents would be so proud!

Love,

Grandma Andromeda"

"Wha's this other one?" Freddie asked, as the boys saw that Nightwing had another letter. Freddie reached for it, and the black bird bit him! Freddie yelped in pain as Nightwing then took the other letter and dropped it in front of Professor Malfoy.

"Wha's that all about?" Freddie wondered, wrapping his copiously bleeding finger in a napkin.

"Well now we got an excuse to go to the Hospital," Jack told him, as they hastily left the Hall with a "to-go" bit of breakfast.

At the high table, Draco Malfoy scowled at the letter and absently shoved his plate at Nightwing, keeping his fingers clear of the bird.

Teddy, Freddie, and Jack found Lee and Ciaran picking at breakfast with a nurse hovering over them. They were still in their pyjamas and having waffles covered in chocolate syrup with cherries, and chocolate milk. Teddy thought that was just a bit unfair, until he remembered that his friends needed it.