five - i'm not tied to anyone

chapter v.
(   age of ultron   )

I'm had strings
but now i'm free
there are no
strings on me
i've got no strings ─── dickie jones

I'm had stringsbut now i'm freethere are no strings on mei've got no strings ─── dickie jones

avengers tower
may 2, 2015

My heeled feet click as I reach the edge of the floor where the staircase cascades down to the lounge. All of my wild and confused thoughts slide away as I watch the party stretching out below. A soft smile touches my cheeks. I thank God that this is nothing like my dad's old parties as, here, I actually know people and, instead of skimpily dressed women and shots, we have nice jazz music and actual smiles. These "revels" or whatever it was that Thor called it, it's refreshing. The bright lights of the city shine through the distant glass windows and the penthouse is warmly lit, making everything feel cozy and casual.

I hear a collection of whistles and catcalls sent in the direction of me and my red dress. A near instant scowl takes over my expression and I irritatedly look around, trying to find the sources so that I can kick their butts. The sight of Dad and Rhodey standing at the bottom of the staircase makes me blow out a sigh of relief.

"Thank God it's just you two," I laugh as I take Rhodey's hand so he'll help me get down the staircase in these ridiculous shoes, "I was about to break some guys' knees for hollering at me like that."

Dad pulls a face, touching a hand to the center of his chest, and glancing from Rhodey to me, "'Just us'? Did you hear that?" when Rhodey nods and confirms that he did, Dad goes on, "What do you mean 'just us'? We're the greatest people in this joint."

Rhodey chimes in, crooking his eyebrows at me, "Yeah, ouch, Lees, seriously. God, and I thought you liked us."

I shrug and tilt my hand back and forth, "Eh."

"That hurts," Rhodey points at me before walking away, "That really hurts."

"You know I love you, Baby!" I call after him, getting on my tiptoes as I hold up a hand to cup the side of my mouth.

Without turning back, he lets out a sarcastic, "Ha!"

I laugh lightly before turning to my staring dad. I can't help but wonder if the discomfort between us has passed. We've, of course, talked since he snapped at me in the lab last night, but every conversation feels like we are stepping carefully around broken glass. I hate feeling like that and I know that he does too.

Hoping that it is all forgotten, I give a small smile, "What?"

"Oh nothing, you know," he rolls his eyes and shrugs his shoulders a little, "You're just beautiful is all."

"Aw Dad," I softly say, touching my chest as I blush a little.

"I did a really good job, huh?" he scrunches his nose and squints at my face as if he's inspecting me.