twenty-eight - what happens under orange streetlights

chapter xxviii.
(   homecoming   )

i thought that we were close
but now that door is closed
when did we lose control?
guess  you don't need me
i just wanna know
i just wanna know ─── nf

i thought that we were closebut now that door is closedwhen did we lose control?guess  you don't need mei just wanna knowi just wanna know ─── nf

avengers facility, new york
august 2, 2016
(   third person point of view   )

A woman and a child only had each other.

A father was gone, unmentioned, unknowing.

The child had screamed.

The woman said nothing.

The little girl's face was red, but it was not from the tears that streamed down her cheeks. It was from the blood. Oh God, there was just so much blood. It was everywhere. All the time, it was absolutely everywhere. The little girl learnt very early on that so many things could be used as weapons, as a means to hurt, as a means to make her scream.

Plates. Books. Forks. Pins. Knives. Hands.

She was just a child, she couldn't stop crying. Who would do that to child?

The sky is a deep midnight blue and the air carries a light summer breeze while a black sedan remains parked outside the renovating Avengers Facility. A man in a jet black suit stands within a certain billionaire's office, staring at the two pajama-wearing people before him.

"Please sit down, Mr. Stark, Ms. Potts."

A very disheveled Tony Stark stares long and hard at the government official who was sent by none other than Secretary Ross. First, the man comes here in the middle of the godforsaken night without warning, demanding to see both Tony and, oddly enough, Pepper and now he's going to what? Could he seriously be trying to tell them what to do in Tony's own building? With a blank face, the government official carelessly motions for the two to sit in his chairs in his office. Tony grinds his teeth in distaste. Well, apparently he is.

Resisting an irritated sigh of her own, Pepper sits down in one of the chairs and expectantly stares at the man. Tony rolls his brown eyes a little, hardly enough to be seen, before he turns and sits down in the cushiony chair beside hers.

"All right, let's just get this over with quickly so we can get the heck back to bed. What exactly do you want now?" Tony's voice and his scowl sadly have nothing to do with his lack of sleep. "You've come here sixteen times asking me the same questions and I keep giving you the same answers: I don't know. I don't know where my daughter went. I don't know what she's doing. I don't know if she's 'plotting' something. I don't know anything."

The Stark doesn't realize how emotional he sounds until the man realizes that both the official and Pepper are staring at him sympathetically. The room grows uncomfortably silent. Pepper blinks away the tears in her light eyes and quickly crosses her gray pajama legs, looking away. Tony clears his throat and moves his gaze away from her as well. He can't stand to see her pain anymore than he can stand his own.