twenty-four - end of the path

chapter xxiv.
( civil war )

tell your brother you're listening to his dreams
tell your sister she is all you need
tell your mother she is the only one
and your father has made you all that you've become
sense of home ─── harrison storm

tell your brother you're listening to his dreamstell your sister she is all you needtell your mother she is the only oneand your father has made you all that you've becomesense of home ─── harrison storm

avengers facility
june 16, 2016
( third person point of view )

"It's just the first pass." Tony tells Rhodey quickly as he follows him along the walking rails.

Rhodey keeps a hand on his best friend's shoulder, walking on the leg braces that Tony designed for him, "Yeah."

"Give me some feedback, anything you think of!" Tony turns to him as they continue, "Shock absorption, lateral movement..." He pauses the quick list for a moment, teasing and trying to make him feel better, "Cup holder?"

Rhodey plays along, nodding his head with a joking expression, "You may wanna think about some AC down in," the man suddenly comes crashing down to the ground, gasping and barely catching himself as he lands hard on his stomach, "Ach, ow."

Fighting back a worried expression, Tony immediately crouches down and stretches out a hand to help him, "Let's go. I'll give you a hand."

"No, no, don't help me." He quickly responds, shaking his dark head.

Tony leans back on his heels as he watches Rhodey struggle. The man grunts and painfully pushes himself up into more of a sitting position where he rests in silence for a few moments. Tony doesn't say anything either, simply staring at him and allowing him to take his time. He isn't sure what he would have done if he had lost Rhodey too that day in the airport. Rhodey's been with him from chapter one, and if he ever needed it, Rhodey was always willing to watch Tony's back. Tony just wishes he could fix his.

The man finally breaks the silence with a sudden phrase, "One hundred and thirty-eight combat missions."

Tony glances up at him, waiting for him to continue.

"That's how many I've flown, Tony." Rhodey voice grows quiet as he nods a little, "Every one of them could've been my last, but I flew 'em. Because the fight needed to be fought. It's the same with these Accords. I signed because it was the right thing to do." He goes silent and shakes his head a little, "And I'm not angry at Lisa."

The other man looks down briefly, squinting at his shoes.

"Ross put her in a tight spot and she didn't know what to do. If she had known any of this was gonna happen, we both know she wouldn't have done it." Rhodey's voice slowly fades away and his dark eyes are sad with memory of it all.

"Pepper told you, didn't she?"

The best friends look at each other, neither of the men saying anything for a moment. There's no need to further explain just what exactly it would have been that Pepper told him. They both know.