twenty-three - with everything, with nothing

chapter xxiii.
(   civil war   )

open the door into a nightmare
wish i could go back home
where do i even start to pick  it
up when its falling apart?

where do i even start ─── morgan taylor reid

avengers facility, upstate new yorkjune 12, 2016(   third person point of view   )

june 12, 2016
(   third person point of view   )

"Tony, I just need to know. Please, all I want is to know the truth. Just answer my question."

"What question?"

"She's dead, isn't she?"

The man can't seem to open his eyes; this is all a bad dream, it's got to be a bad dream. It can't be happening. It can't. He didn't think it was going to end like this. He swear to God, he didn't think it was going to end like this. He honestly wishes he was numb;, why can't he just be numb? It's nearly dark, the sky looks like it's closing in on him. She said she was on his side, but it wasn't enough. God, why couldn't it have been enough?!

"Tony..."

Tears slip down the strawberry blonde's face and Pepper presses a hand to her stomach, feeling sick at what has happened these past two years without her even being here. Pepper should have been here for him and for her and for the baby she's only just learned about. They're her family and even though things went sideways with Tony, Pepper shouldn't have taken a step back.

Oh, there were so many things none of them should have done.

Pepper slowly steps around him, trying to meet his eyes.

"Tony." Her voice catches in her throat and her light eyes are red with pain, "I physically cannot get by without knowing. You have to tell me."

The man stiffly shakes his head and slowly sits down, his knees suddenly feeling weak and his head starting to spin and his left arm starting to ache.

"I need you to answer me." Pepper slides down to kneel in front of the man and she clasps tightly onto his hands, whispering, "Tony.. Please." A sob breaks out of her lips, her face drops, and her chest constricts painfully, forcing her to croak, "Is our daughter dead?"

A long pause follows as Tony presses a hand to his lips and shakes his head slowly. He feels so disgusting, so despicable, so unworthy. He can't even stand the sound of his own voice.

Finally, Tony turns to look at Pepper with his big brown eyes shimmering with twenty years worth of pain and he whispers in a faltering voice, "I don't know."

Clint strides along beside Steve, holding a trembling Wanda at his side and holding one of her cold frail hands tightly. Steve leads them through the outskirts of a forest towards a large field of green and yellow grass where a helicopter waits. After breaking them out of the Raft, Steve assured them that Wakanda would be offering a way to hide. The man who is nearly king did not necessarily promise this would be within the African country's borders for all of them, but the heroes who are now fugitives will be provided with some means to find safety elsewhere.