nine - anything i would do

chapter ix.
(   age of ultron   )

sometimes i get tired of pins and needles
facades are a fire on the skin
oh, i'm growing fond of broken people
as i see i am one of them
pins & needles ─── mutemath

sometimes i get tired of pins and needlesfacades are a fire on the skinoh, i'm growing fond of broken peopleas i see i am one of thempins & needles ─── mutemath

barton farm, undisclosed location
may 4, 2015

The wind dusts my hair into my face as I sit in the damp grass with my legs sprawled out in front of me. My head still tiredly aches and my back is still sore so I am considering making this my new lifelong position. Somehow I don't believe people are going to be okay with that. Still, I'm not doing much of anything but staring off into space and listening to people talk. And that certainly sounds relaxing, but 'sounds' is as far as that goes. This is anything but relaxing as I stare past the two arguing men standing a few feet away from me, axing through a stack of wood.

Dad snaps the axe down and then moves for a new hunk of wood, asking, "Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?"

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things," Steve says pointedly, glancing around to where Clint still works with Cooper.

Well, apparently my favorite supersoldier is feeling a little passive aggressive today, isn't he?

I blink slowly, glancing between the two with an unimpressed expression.

"I was kinda hoping Thor would be the exception," Steve continues with a frown, moving for a new piece of wood.

"Yeah, give him time," Dad reaches out a hand and I tiredly pass him another log while he goes on vouching for the absent thunder god, "We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him."

I let out a quiet puff of air as my hands settle back onto the ground on either side of me.

Wanda.

Boy, do I have some words for her when, or if, we meet each other again.

"'Earth's mightiest heroes'," Steve scoffs at our title, shaking his head in disbelief, "Pulled us apart like cotton candy."

"Seems like you walked away all right," Dad comments back, squinting at him as he holds the axe across his chest.

I look up from my most recent view of the green grass to study the supersoldier. For the most part, he does look alright all things considering. He's not staring off into space and he's not feeling massive amounts of guilt because of something he did when the Scarlet Witch, as I've now dubbed her, had control of his mind. But I would have be naive to say that Steve wasn't in the least bit affected by what he saw. And Dad should know that.

Steve seems a little on edge as he pulls up into a more straight position, squinting at my dad in the sunlight, "Is that a problem?"

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side," Dad's head twitches to the side before he brings down the axe once more.