thirty-seven - going home

chapter xxxvii.
(   homecoming   )

i want to raise your spirits
i want to see you smile but
know that means i'll have to leave
happier ─── marshmello

i want to raise your spiritsi want to see you smile butknow that means i'll have to leavehappier ─── marshmello

stark manor
october 1, 2016

"Peter, you're going to be late!"

The New York City skyline is pale and foggy this morning, but it's not eerie or cold like I thought it would be. It's calming, satisfying, like the end of a book, like the turn of a page. And somehow it's okay. Somehow I don't mind.

I smile a little to myself and glance away from the window, running a hand through my blonde hair that's roots are beginning to grow back in. My wounds have been closed back up and thin black thread lines the various cuts over my body, making me glad that our aunt happens to be a nurse. Coming up with a story that wouldn't incriminate Peter was a little difficult, but hey, the secret is still safe... for now, that is.

Maria is happily sitting up on Peter's bottom bunk, the four month old playing and chewing on her little baby toes. I smirk and rub her dark brown curls, going back to packing the last of our things. Nearly all of our very limited possessions are ready. It's just about time.

"You could stay..." A voice quietly suggests behind me.

"You know I can't... I think it's time."

I toss the last of Maria's socks into our bag before glancing back at Peter as he holds his backpack on his shoulders and shuffles from foot to foot. Apparently, he's got a Spanish quiz again today, and if he's doesn't hurry, he's gonna miss the train. His eyebrows are screwed together and his lips are pursed as he studies me, clearly unhappy.

"Come on." I give my brother a small funny smirk, "I'm sure you're ready to get your fugitive older sister out of your hair."

Peter doesn't even crack a smile back at me.

"Besides," I uncomfortably cross my arms over my stomach, not liking this either, "I've mooched off you and May long enough."

He sharply shakes his head, "No, you haven't."

Tears biting at my eyes, I let out a quiet laugh, "You deserve the whole world, Peter, and getting to know you..." I swallow hard and start again, "I've been a lot of things in my life; a daughter, a niece, an heiress, an experiment, a victim, an Avenger, the Red Raven, a girlfriend, now an ex-wife," he scrunches his nose at that, "a mother, a fugitive... A lot of them I've failed at, and I'm not proud of it." A smile breaks through my trembling lips and a tear slips down my bruised cheek, "But being your sister, Peter Parker, it's one of the best things that I've ever been."

Breathing in and letting out a deep and heavy breath, Peter sharply walks towards me and throws his arms around my back, tugging me close. I close my eyes tight and wrap my arms around his neck, leaning my head on his shoulder.