{3} Tradition

I'm just putting this here cuz I LOOOVE it ^^^

General POV

"Um... Richie, we didn't do the thing this year" Alex says into the walkie-talkie, biting her bottom lip in nervousness.

-Flashback-

It was third grade and lunch was just minutes away. Richie and Alex had talked on the walkie-talkies the night before and plotted their plan to awesoneness. It was only two days until the last day of school and the plan was right on schedule. In class, Richie kept on glancing at th clock and tapping his pencil impatiently. Alex did the same, but was way too exited.

When the bell rang for lunch. Everyone immediately jumped out of their seats and ran out of class, heading to the cafeteria, where it will all soon take place. Alex and Richie were the last out of the classrom, trying not to act suspicious. "You ready?" he whispered to her, "Totally... you?" she whispered back, almost jumping every step she took. "Yes" he replied as if it were obvious. They trudged into the lunchroom, heading into the line together. They picked out all the good stuff like mashed potatoes, carrots, badly cooked nuggets and much more and slid them onto their tray. Alex was practically giggling her head off, probably making it too suspicious although no one in the entire town would care for what they were about to do. Their trays were completely full by the time they arrived to the end of the line.

They sat down in their usual spots by Eddie, Stan and Bill. Their friends didn't really know what was happening, although the two of them did it last year and the year before. It was at least two minutes into lunch and no janitors nor teachers were around, due to it being Wednesday, a day where for some reason there would be no one watching the kids during lunch. Perfect.

Almost as if on cue, Alex jumped from her seat and announced something that took everyone by surprise. "My people of Derry Elementary. Today is the day we-" Her attention got cut off by Richie who threw several milk covered carrots at Gretta Keene, obviously too impatient. Alex fake gasped with a breathy laugh. Richie joined her and jumed up from his seat, screaming "FOOD FIGHT!!!" right before being thrown a huge tater tot right to the forehead by one of Grettas minions. Alex laughed out loud as kids began throwing whatever was on their tray towards random people. Richie stood back up next to her after wiping away the gross substance from his forehead.

-

The two gazed upon their masterpiece, every kid in the cafeteria was either throwing food at someone or fleeing from someone trying to smash food onto their face. It was complete and utter chaos. Something that Alex absolutely loved to make, especially with the help of Richie Trashmouth Tozier. It was perfect. Eddie Kasbrak was staring at everything in disgust while Bill tried to aim something to someone. Stan was ducked down in his seat, not wanting to get dirty.

As soon as Alex finished taking in the view, she grabbed a handfull of random salad from Eddies tray and threw it at no one in specific, but just to have fun. Richie was too busy continuously throwing pieces of cheese stick at a guy named Daniel to realize that someone was pouring chocolate milk on his black, curly hair. A small girl named Emily splashed some water onto Alexs shirt. Although she didn't care, revenge is always the answer. So she threw several chicken nuggets toward Emily one by one as if they were ninja stars.

Five minutes into it and no teacher has come to stop them. While Alex was running around, chasing somone, she bumped into Richie who was doing the same. They laughed it off until they realized their faces were just inches apart. Alex didn't mind and neither did Richie, they just stood there as students screamed and laughed around them.

They stared in to each others eyes for a couple of seconds. It felt like those movie clichès, when they stare into each others eyes wether its under rain, under fireworks or just under the stars... except this was in the middle of a food fight. Alex revealed a devilish smirk. Richie did the same. Someone screamed very loud somewhere in the cafeteria as if it was Alexs cue to smudge macoronni onto Richies cheek, which she did. They didn't break their stare although Richie just got smacked with maccoroni by the person in front of him. Richies devilish smirk grew wider as he smudged mashed potatoes onto Alexs cheek, imitating what she had just done to him. Alexs mouth made a small 'o' shape as her eyes widened. They both laughed before Alex began chasing after Richie. After all... revenge is always the answer.

---

Alexs POV

Richie and I sat in the principals office, in the two comfy chairs that stood in front of his desk all the time. We were soaked in chocolate milk and water and covered in food. I sighed as the principal continued lecturing us, telling us that we can't keep getting in trouble, that it won't be good for us in the future. "How come every time something bad happens, you two are involved in it?" he sighs while I shrug with a small smile. Richie had no idea what we were talking about nor did he want to know due to him being completely focused on picking out the leaves of salad from his hair.

I rolled my eyes with a smirk at the boy only to meet eyes with the principal again. I sighed, knowing that he can't trust me. "Mr., I'm pretty sure nothing like this will ever happen again," I lied, placing my hands on the arm rest of the chair. "Today, it just happened" I lied again. "... and continued" I giggled.

Richie finally looked down from his hair, getting tired of being in the familiar room. "Yeah, Mr., it won't happen again. I promise." he said. "Promise?" I murmed as I eyed Richie with gritted teeth. I didn't always like lying to the principle, it could get us completely expelled. "Promise." Richie concluded, eyeing me the same way. It was almost as if we were talking with our minds.

I pursed my lips and widened my eyes for a second to Richie, meaning 'that was a lie'.

He shrugged lightly in response with slightly furrowed brows, meaning 'so what?'.

I rolled my eyes before narrowing my eyes to him with a tilted head, meaning 'So we shouldn't. We could get expelled for lying to the principal'.

He rolled his eyes with a small hand movement, meaning 'Lying right now isn't any different from the lies you make all the time'.

I nodded my head before returning my gaze back to the principal, who was fully confused at our silent language. "Promise" I sighed, taking the risk. "Good, now you can return to your class and you will both receive two days of suspension." the principal led us out of his office only to leave us in the hall to walk back to our classroom. We fist bumped, celebrating our yearly success as we walked down the halls with smiles, and maccoroni smudged onto our faces. It was perfect timing because in two days, school will be over.

-

When we entered the classroom, cheers filled the silent room when their eyes met ours. I laughed happily while in the corner of my eye, I could see Richie staring at me. I almost immediately noticed and looked back to him. "What are you looking at, Trashmouth" I teased, making him break the stare. "Nothing" he mumbled with a smirk, facing his head back to the crowd of cheering kids. I imitated his smirk and cheered along with the kids, enjoying the finale of the Tradition.

-End of flashback-

Hi! I hope you enjoyed the flashback chapter. I definitely think this is my favorite chapter so far and I love how Alex and Richie have such a long history together. I shouldn't be surprised because I wrote it but i'm still glad that I made this book. Love and Light❤️⭐️