•Layla's Plan•

I'm up late that night studying. Studying. Interesting word, right? It's almost like its a contraction of students and dying.

Yeah. I'm too tired for this.

My mother knocks on my door, which is wide open. "Blair? I'm home."

"I know." I get up from my desk and stretch. "How was work?"

"Same old, same old." Mom gives me a hug. She smells like medicine and sweat.

I look pretty similar to my mother. I have her round face and blonde hair. We're also pretty similar in height. She's 5'7, and I'm 5'4.

Her hair is piled in a messy bun on top of her head. I take out the hair tie and muss it with my fingers. It falls around her face. She smiles, tired. "I love you, baby. Don't stay up too late, okay?"

"Okay, Mom. Love you too!"

"If you're hungry, have Tina make you a grilled cheese or something. I'm gonna take a shower."

With that, Mom leaves.

I yawn and walk down the stairs. Our housekeeper, Tina, is reading a book in the den.

"...Tina?" I say, shyly. I don't really want to interrupt her reading. But, to be honest, I'm hungry.

"Ah, hello, Blair! I haven't seen you since you got home." Tina gets up and brushes her apron off. "What do you need?"

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but—"

Tina cuts me off with a laugh. "Disturb me? Oh, sweetheart, serving you is my job! Besides, you're not as demanding as some children whose parents I've worked for. Plus, the pay is much better here!" She says that last sentence with a wink. I giggle.

Tina is like my second mother, one that's here all the time. She's worked for my parents for about three years now.

It's true that I'm not demanding. I'm usually very independent. I only ask her for help when I really need it. In this case, I needed something for dinner.

"So, what did you need, darling?" Tina asks. She's making her way to the kitchen already.

"Um, can I have a grilled cheese?" I ask, rubbing my arms meekly.

"Of course!"

"Oh, um, can you show me how you make it? Just so I don't have to ask you every time I want one."

Tina looks at me with a grin, her dark eyes gleaming. "Okay. First, you get the pan out."

•••

I take my sandwich up to my room and continue to study for History. Pop quizzes are awful. I think I was the only person listening to the teacher earlier.

I reach into my backpack to get my notebook.

Wait.

Did I forget my notebook at school?!

I look into my bag. "Crap! Crap, crap, crap!"

I throw my head down into my desk, not realizing that my empty plate was right in front of me. My forehead is pierced by crispy bread crumbs. "Ow!"

I pick my head up and brush the crumbs off my face. "Ugh. I need a shower."

I grab some pajamas and go into my bathroom. As I turn on the water, I think about the Queen Bs. Today was one of the days where I got to see Bianca's brattiness is full-force.