•Monday•

My alarm wakes me up at five in the morning on Monday. I decided to wake up extra early so I had plenty of time to glow up. This is my first official day with the Queen Bs. I need to look perfect.

I take a quick, cold shower to wake myself up. I blow dry my hair so it falls in silky waves down my back. I then play some music and go to my closet to get my outfit. The blush pink crushed velvet shirt, a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, the new white Adidas, and the black choker with the ring. I put the clothes on and look at myself in my full-length mirror.

I actually look pretty cute. Trendy, stylish, fresh.

"In," I whisper.

I wash my face again and brush my teeth really well. Then, I get started on my makeup.

It took a while, but after looking at makeup looks on Pinterest, I decided to do a subtle, natural look. I prime my face and blend my new foundation into my skin. I use a little bit of concealer and a setting powder.

I use tan eyeshadow with a light dusting of a shimmery gold shadow over it. I coat my lashes with mascara and lightly fill in my eyebrows. I pat some natural blush onto my cheeks and spray my entire face with setting spray.

Finally, I put a light coat of a rosy pink gloss on my lips. It matches my shirt.

I take a step back and admire my makeup. Practicing really pays off. I almost look like how I did on Friday, when Thalia helped me.

Thalia. I wonder if I'll see her again today. I hadn't seen her in school before. Then again, I don't really pay attention to my fellow students.

Not until today, at least.

I look at the clock. It's 7:13. Layla should be picking me up soon. I head downstairs, where Tina is cooking me a waffle in the waffle maker. "Hey, Tina!" I say, taking a seat at the kitchen table.

"Mornin', Blair!" She turns around and exclaims in surprise. "Oh! You look so different!"

I bite the inside of my cheek. "Is it too much? Do I look like I'm trying to hard?"

Tina puts her hand on her chest, closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath. "No. You look beautiful. It just... startled me."

I sigh, relived. "Thank you."

She turns back to the waffle maker. "You want strawberries on your waffle?"

"Yes, please!"

After a couple minutes, Tina hands me a large waffle with syrup, strawberries, and a dusting of powdered sugar. It smells heavenly. She pours me some OJ and hands me a fork and knife. "You should hurry and eat! Mrs. McAdams should be here soon. Also, your mama wanted you to take some medicine. Heard you didn't want to get sick!"

I stop mid-chew and nod. "Yeah. The flu's going around. She caught it."

"She sure did! She's resting right now. Your daddy already left for work."

I eat and take a cup of liquid medicine.

"Do medicine companies even know what cherry tastes like?!" I ask, gagging. "This doesn't taste like cherry. It tastes like death and the tears of small children."

Tina starts cracking up. "If you would take pills, you wouldn't have to taste that!"

I roll my eyes. "I physically cannot swallow pills. My throat won't let me."

She laughs again and squeezes my shoulder. "Good luck today, hun. Stay out of trouble."

As if on cue, I hear Mrs. McAdams' car horn honk. "Bye, Tina!"

"Bye-bye, Blair Brenner."

•••

"Blair!" Layla almost screams. "You look amazing!"

I blush. "Thanks."

Layla grabs my arms and looks at me closer. Her round blue eyes look me over. "Dang. That's good makeup."

She lets go of my arm. I rub it tenderly. "Ow."

"Sorry! I get aggressive when I'm excited!"

"Good thing you're a cheerleader!" I whip out the compact mirror that Becky bought me and apply a fresh coat of lip gloss. "Today's my first day with them. The Queen Bs, I mean."