two| 2:58 am

2:58 am

2 hours and 41 minutes after

Gracie had woken up under her pale pink comforter in her pale pink room and had checked the time on her phone before going downstairs. When she got to the kitchen all of the lights were on, which was strange since Gracie was always the only one awake this early in the morning. And the coffee pot was on, a half-filled mug on the counter, which was also strange because she was the only one in her family that drank coffee. There was a broken cup in the sink, and Gracie wondered briefly who'd broken it and how she hadn't heard the noise.

Gracie walked through the kitchen to grab a coffee mug and that was when she noticed that her older sister was passed out under the kitchen table, half of her head caved in, her eyes frozen wide open in fear, and a pool of deep red blood underneath her.

The muddy tracks that lead from the back door to the kitchen table had made a circle around the kitchen island, from the coffee pot to the sink and back to the table. Gracie let out a scream, and then covered her mouth with her hands and carefully set her cup back down on the counter. It was Amelia's favorite mug, so it was the least she could do.

Once she'd calmed her breathing, Gracie reached for her phone and dialed the police. And then she went to wake her parents, who were not going to be happy about being woken at such an early hour.