twenty seven | 8:46am - County Jail

8:46am – County Jail

11 days, 8 hours, and 29 minutes after

Gracie had learned to hate the police station, but jail was different. Jail was cold and scary and the only thing keeping murderers and rapists away from her were some bars and a wall.

Not exactly reassuring.

Gracie supposed that the visitation room was different from the rest of the building. There were windows that reached the outside- skylights, but still.

The guard next to her motioned for her to pick up the phone, so Gracie reached out a shaking hand and picked it up, pressing it to her ear.

"Why are you here?"

"Because I need answers."

Jax laughed, and Gracie cringed away from the harsh sound. Gone was the boy that she had grown up with. He'd been replaced by someone with cold and detached eyes. Someone with the capability of murder.

He adjusted the collar of his jumpsuit while Gracie tried to compose herself.

"Why'd you do it, Jax? We were friends-"

"Don't lie to yourself, Gracie. Amelia only cared about Amelia."

He was right, and Gracie knew it. But she pressed on.

"Who cares if she only cared about herself? Did she deserve to die for it?"

"I should have done it sooner."

"Why? Who made you God?"

Jax rolled his eyes. "No one needed to make me God for me to realize that she needed to go."

"You deserve to rot," Gracie hissed. "I hope you get tormented in here, I hope that things are so terrible that you wish that you were the one that was dead."

"Tell Theo that I'd like to see him," Jax teased. "We need to have a conversation."

"Theo won't be coming anywhere near you, and I don't think that you're in the position to be making threats," Gracie replied, gripping the phone tightly.

"The trial hasn't happened yet. You never know, I might get a shorter sentence."

"You know that that won't happen."

"But it could. Miracles happen every day."

Silence stretched across the phone line before Gracie took another breath.

"Why the tennis racket?"

"She left it in class, and I happened to pick it up before she noticed."

"Do you feel bad?"

Gracie's question made Jax pause, and she could see him thinking about her question

"I guess I do," He said slowly, weighing his words. "I wish that it hadn't hurt your family. But I wouldn't take it back."

"You realize that you've made my life hell, right?"

"Or maybe this was just my way of saving you." Jaxon's voice was thoughtful.

"Saving me? From what, living my life that way it'd been since I was little?"

"From becoming like her."

Gracie had had enough. Jax was obviously off his rocker, and she was over it. He was a murderer, not her friend. Not her neighbor.

A murderer. And he didn't regret anything.

She hung the phone up and stood from her chair, nodding to the guard.

And Jaxson watched her go, a smirk gracing his lips.

"You're welcome." He called, allowing himself to be recuffed and led back to his cell.