ten | 11:00 pm

11:00 pm

1 hour and 17 minutes before

Eleven o'clock meant time for bed, and it always had in the Sinclair household.

Ken and Bethany told their children goodnight, reminded them to pass their tests tomorrow, and moved up the stairs. There were no 'I-love-yous' or 'sweet dreams' thrown about, but that was normal.

The girls sat in silence once their parents had left. Amelia stared at her sister, trying to figure out why she was still being so quiet. They'd fought before- as of late, it was always about Theo- but they'd always gotten over it by the time movie night was over.

Gracie had finally pulled out her homework and was nibbling on the end of a pen, her calculus book balanced on her knee.

"I'm sorry, Graciela." Amelia said, cutting the thick silence with her sarcasm. "Is that what you want to hear?"

"I'd like for you to mean it." Gracie said, with no hesitation.

"I don't mean it, and that's the problem. You don't understand that this boy is just a phase for you."

"Stop talking down to me." Gracie snapped. "You're four minutes older, not four years."

"I'm not speaking down to you, I'm giving you sound advice. You just don't like what I have to say."

"You don't have to be a bitch you know." Gracie scowled. "You could be happy for me."

"Why would I be happy when you're throwing your life away?"

"Because I'm not. I'm going to Yale, Lia. Yale. You didn't even get in there. I'm living my life, I'm having experiences, I'm falling in love. If anyone's throwing their life away, it's you."