Chapter 1 - The Junior Doctor and The Time Traveler

(Prologue)

Hiding behind the couch with your roommate Mieke, backs against wall, holding your breath. You hear the door open, footsteps step lightly into the room. You motion to your friend to stay still and you slowly got up from your crouching position. A cold sweat ran down the back of your neck as your hand gripped your firearm tighter.

Taking a deep breath, you stood up, took aim and fired.

Click

"Auhhg!"

Boawf

"Yes!" You shouted triumphantly, raising the plastic (totally not Nerf-)gun into the air. The guy you shot groaned as he sat up, pushing back his shaggy, dirty-blonde hair from his face.

"Nice shot," Will mumbled, rubbing his eye.

"Thanks," you smiled.

"I taught her well," smirked Mieke. You had won the bet, to see who could shoot who first, so Will begrudgingly gave you five bucks.

"I'm gonna win this back," He declared as he handed you the cash.

"And what about the other 50 dollars?" You teased.

"Th-that too!"

You, Mieke and Will were all old friends from way back. You and Will especially. The blonde, tan, surfer-guy type had been like the older brother you never had. He had your back, whatever the situation. When you had decided to follow him into Medicine studies, he had nothing but support for you.

As for Mieke, you hadn't known her for as long but she quickly turned into someone you wanted to have your back. She was fierce, loyal and a natural leader. She was currently doing a BA in History, so often, when you two had nothing better to do, she would talk about random events in history; most of which were about the Roman Empire or Ancient Greece.

You and Mieke quickly pack your bags, lunch, snacks, study books, laptop and other assorted items you keep in your bag but never need; such as a Swiss army knife and a lock picking tool kit: "because you never know when you need to break into something or get your self out of somewhere."

Mieke had an essay due today so you and Will wished her luck before heading in separate directions, Mieke to the library; and you and Will to the Lecture Hall for your daily dose of Medicinal theory.

While listening to the Professor drone on and on, monotonously, you found it hard to concentrate. The hall seemed to heat up to an uncomfortable temperature. Glancing at Will, he seemed to have not noticed the change of temperature.

The Professor flicked through a slide show as he talked about treating patients with various injuries; smoke inhalation, stabbings, gun shot wounds, infections. You felt a sucking sensation in your gut, like a black hole forming in your intestines. Bile built up in the back of your throat as black dots clouded you vision. You fell into darkness.

(Chapter 1)

First, your nose twitched.

Then you felt a furry object brush against your cheek.

Finally a wet, slobbery, coarse tongue wipe across your face.

"Aurghh... gross," you muttered as you slowly sat up, pushing the furry face away gently. You rubbed your eyes as you let the sickness you felt earlier pass. Looking around, you found yourself in a dark alleyway. The cobblestone ground was cold beneath you, and the place reeked of smoke and garbage. Above you the sky was overcast and threatening to rain. A small, soft bark brought your attention back to the furry creature beside you.

The dog's shaggy, long fur was a dirty pale-brown, no doubt was once a shining golden colour, and covered in filth. The poor creature gave a small whimper as it nudge your hand, begging for food. Its gleaming green eyes were soft and pleading. Your eyes widened has you then noticed just how malnourished the dog was. Luckily, however you got to.. wherever you were, you still had your bag with you. Grabbing any meat you had, you feed the dog small pieces at a time; trying not to upset its stomach.

You hear the sound of footsteps from the street. You crept over to the edge of the shadows and peered out. What you saw made a knot form in your stomach. Marching down the road were around 50 or so scraggly, haggard and the most depressed looking people you had ever seen. Most of them were old men, who looked like their bandy legs would give out on them at any moment, while the rest were young men or middle-aged women with a small child or two. Some had a small suitcase with their possessions, others had nothing but the clothes on their backs.

But it wasn't the sickly people that set your nerves on edge, it was the men "herding" them, as it were. They all wore dark coloured military uniforms with a red band around their upper arm. They either had their guns in their hands or slung over their shoulder as they shouted at the tired mob in German, and seemingly made jokes at their expense.

As the crowd got closer, one old man got your attention. He was scrawny and thin, as if merely a stiff breeze would blow him over. He hobbled along with the aid of a simple walking stick. When he saw you, you thought for one terrifying second that me might make your presence known to the soldiers. He didn't. Instead, he merely smiled at you and your new companion. After you were gone from his line of sight the old man stood still, eyes skyward. At this point, you noticed that the way he carried himself, and his steady hands despite his obvious age. The old man used to be a doctor.

One of the soldiers closest to the old man shouted at him, but he ignored him. He kept his eyes skyward. The soldier marched over to the old man, shouting, and gestured dangerously with his gun. Still, the old man did not move.

"My time has come," the old man said, in heavily accented English, loud enough for you to hear. The man gaze in your direction, hope in his eyes, "My time has come..."

Bang Bang Bang