Chapter 5 - A Game of Cat and Mouse Begins

It's been some time since you first found yourself in a war torn Europe, it hasn't been easy but it hasn't been unbearable either. You believe you've made some new friends which is always a plus, but there's always that one thing that you've never been able to get out of your head. It's just been lurking there, in the back of your mind for some time now.

'What if they find you?'

By 'they' I am referring to the Nazi soldiers of course, especially Ludwig's higher-ups. You were surprised to find that the blonde man wasn't just a grunt, but is actually well placed within the military ranks with a fair amount of political power too. However this brings a possibility a fraction more frightening than being found out by the regular trooper; the Führer himself.

You had heard of stories about military leaders visiting their subordinates' houses; checking in on them, making sure they're doing what their leader wants them to be doing, and at a high enough standard.

It was quite possible that if Adolf Hitler did come for a visit something might go wrong, as it usually always does in these situations (Murphy's Law), that you could be found and killed, if not something worse.

You were gazing out the window of your room as you have been since you arrived here. There was no sound other than the chirping of birds and the rustling of the tree branches swaying in the gentle spring breeze. The sun was high in the sky, it's rays flooding through the window into your room. It's was a peaceful day.

Like the calm before the storm.

Earlier that morning, Ludwig had gone to work, a meeting with his superiors he had said.

"I'm not sure vhen zhis meeting vill finish, so don't be vorried if I'm not home later today. It just means zhat my superior has more vork for me zhat he vants done immediately." You could have sworn you saw the reluctance in his eyes, as if he hated the idea of doing any kind of work for his superior. In that brief moment you saw, or thought you saw, the look of a man who has been to hell and back.

And is about to go again.

You sighed, that's the one problem with being a doctor. The wounds may heal and fade over time, but the emotional and mental scaring will stay with them forever.

And you can see it in their eyes.

A soft whine-like sound got your attention. Turning around, you saw Copper giving you a "Is it dinner time yet?" look. You chuckled slightly and began to walk towards the door. "C'mon Copper, let's get some food-"

Copper's hackles were raised and his fur was puffed up making him look twice his size. His ears were pricked up as he growled towards the window.

You swiftly walked back to the window just in time to see a convoy of a few cars, escorted by several more motorbikes, round the bend in the long driveway. They all bared the Nazi flag.

"Shit," you swore under your breath, "Shit, shit, shit," You quickly packed all your belongings back into your backpack and ran down to the kitchen, Copper hot on your heels, and began stuffing what food you could into your bag; bread, jam, assorted fruits and vegetables, just enough to keep you going until you could find your own.

You heard the rumbling of engines begin to stop and voices get louder as they approached the door. You quickly made a dash for the back door. You threw open the door just as the first soldier had walked into the front of the house.

Hearing the sound of you and the dog, he alerted the others and began to chase after you.

You ran across the large backyard towards the dense forestry that surrounded the area. You were nearly halfway there when you heard the sound of gunfire.

BANG. BANG. BANG

The first shot hit your backpack, the force lurching you forwards as you stumbled, the second shot zooming past your ear. You managed to keep your feet beneath you, however, and pushed off the ground with your fingers.

The third bullet hit your right arm, tearing through the flesh and muscle in your bicep. You yelled out in pain.

Gripping your arm and gritting your teeth, you managed to get to the forest edge where you plunged into the dense foliage, Copper bounding just ahead of you.

You didn't know how long you ran for, all you know is that at some point you began to feel lightheaded and sick, it was all you could do to stay on your feet and follow Copper. At one point you had to stop, hands on knees, and bile began spewing out of your mouth. Soon after emptying your stomach of all its contents, your world began to spin as you toppled sideways and fell to the dry, hard ground.

~~~

You groaned as a coarse, slobbery tongue wiped across your face. You slowly opened your eyes, trying to blink away the blurriness. A golden mass of fur looked down at you, whimpering with concern.

A cold breeze flowed through. You shivered and, with one hand, pulled your hoodie closer around you. You looked up at the sun, it was hanging low in the sky. "How long was I out?" You murmured.

"About a couple of hours," a thick German accent replied causing you to nearly have a heart attack. You quickly began to sit up only to have two strong hands push you back down. Panicking, you began to wriggle, kick and thrash about, trying to get your attacker to let go of you.

"(y/n)! (y/n)! Mien gott.. (y/n), it's me. Ludwig. Calm down!"

You calmed down as you recognised the voice. You turned to look at him, but your vision was still out of focus.

"L-Ludwig?" your voice was raspy and uneven, your throat feeling like sandpaper once again. You saw the blurry figure nod.

"Are jou okay?" You heard him ask.

"I've been better," you croaked, "m-my vision is all blurry and out of focus. I-i-i can't feel my right arm, below my shoulder..." you avoided looking at your arm, instead you stared at the blurry canopy above you, "M-my head feels like a lead balloon, my throat is raw, a-and everything is painful..." Ludwig nodded along to your list.

"Vell.. jou're zhe doctor. Vhat do ve do?" Funny, you never noticed how thick his accent was until now. You tossed that thought aside for later, right now you needed serious medical attention.

"Well.. I'm pretty sure I made my concussion worse by over exerting myself, so I'll need a lot of rest. Also, a lot of water as I feel very dehydrated and am risking a migraine.." You finally glanced at your injured arm.