Chapter 3 - Homesickness and Potato Stew

Silence.

You weren't sure what to do now.

"Ahem," Ludwig cleared his throat, getting your attention. "How.. how is jour head?" He asked slowly, his hand moving to touch his forehead.

You lifted you hand and, instead of touching skin, you felt a bandage-like material. Gently running your fingers along the fabric, you followed it around your head. You put your hands in front of your face, looking at your fingertips.

"Slight headache," You replied. The blonde nodded. You stood there awkwardly. You looked out the window again, this time you noticed that it was quite late in the afternoon; the sun dipping low below the horizon.

The house looked fairly large, bigger than average, with plenty of footholds and handholds if you needed to escape through the window. A small cough brought your attention back to the room.

"Erm..A-are jou hungry? I've almost finished cooking dinner..." At the sound of 'dinner,' the dogs ears perked up.

"I think the dog is, but I'm not particularly hungry." You turned back to the window. You hear the the door open, close and some footsteps heading back down stairs.

Staring at the sky, the lyrics from '' by The Foo Fighters ran through your head.

'...I'm looking to the sky to save me
Looking for a sign of life
Looking for something help me burn out bright

I'm looking for a complication
Looking 'cause I'm tired of trying
Make my way back home
When I learn to fly...'

You often liked just looking at the sky, doing nothing at all in particular, watching the clouds float on by. But not today, it was just a sad reminder of how far away from home you were. You thought about Mieke and Will. What would they be doing right now; how would they react to you suddenly going missing?

The song '' by Madness begins to play.

'...I remember way back then when everything was true and when
We would have such a very good time such a fine time
Such a happy time
And I remember how we'd play, simply waste the day away
Then we'd say nothing would come between us
Two dreamers

Father wears his Sunday best
Mother's tired, she needs a rest
The kids are playing up downstairs
Sister's sighing in her sleep
Brother's got a date to keep he can't hang around

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our...'

"Why does my brain hate me right now?" You thought as the homesickness bubbled up into your throat. Feeling the tears welding up behind your eyes, you took a deep breath and shook the thoughts from your mind. A new song playing in your head. '' by The Clash.

'...By order of the prophet
We ban that boogie sound
Degenerate the faithful
With that crazy Casbah sound
But the Bedouin they brought out
The electric camel drum
The local guitar picker
Got his guitar picking thumb
As soon as the Shareef
Had cleared the square
They began to wail

The Shareef don't like it
Rockin' the Casbah
Rock the Casbah
The Shareef don't like it
Rockin' the Casbah
Rock the Casbah...'

You sighed as the annoying but catchy chorus got stuck in your head. You took your bag off your back and lied down, face first, onto the bed. Not realising just how tired you were, you fell asleep to the tune of 1980's punk-rock.

~~~

While you slept, Ludwig softly knocked on the door before entering your room. When he saw you and the dog asleep he quietly placed a plate of food for the dog on the ground and a small bowl of potato stew on the small table next to your bed. The dog opened his eyes and yawned. The canine watched the blonde man carefully. Ludwig gently scratched the dog behind its ear, whispering something in German.

The sound of an engine rumbling brought his attention to the window. His concrete expression morphed into a scowl as a German plane flew overhead.

~~~

When you awoke you had '' by Men at Work stuck in your head. You sighed and sat up, noticing the bowl of stew sitting on the table next to you. Judging from the licked-clean plate on the floor, the dog had already eaten.

Your empty stomach overrode your uneasy stomach as you picked up the food and began to eat. You gazed at the dog who was sitting at the foot of the bed.

"I should really give you a name.." you murmured. The dog stared at you intently as you thought of a name.

"How about... Duke?" The dog growled. "I'll take that as a no.." You took another spoonful of stew. "Roofus?" Another growl. "Hmm... what about.. Copper?" The dog seemed to think for a second before making a 'yip' sound. "Copper it is then." You smiled at the dog. You now noticed that while you were asleep, either the first time or the second, Copper's fur had been washed. He was still noticeably malnourished but no longer had such dirty and matted fur. It had a beautiful golden shine with hints of a rusty-copper colour at the roots.

As you set down your now empty bowl, Copper came over to you and rolled onto his back as if expecting a belly rub. You complied to his demands and played with the dog. You hummed to the tune stuck in your head.

'...Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
And he said

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover, yeah...'

~~~

Unbeknownst to you, Ludwig was standing outside the door, hand poised and ready to knock, until he heard you talking to the dog. Talking about your fears, about your friends, but what caught his attention the most was "...How am I going to get back home if I've somehow traveled 65 years into the past?"

'Is that possible?' the German thought. 'She does have clothing that really isn't from this era. And what would anyone be thinking if they were knowingly coming here, unarmed and not even speaking German?'

He thought about this a lot as he went around the house cleaning. He thought about it while he did his early morning run. In fact, he only stopped thinking about this dilemma when his friends unexpectedly arrived.