Poppies - An ANZAC Day Special

Quick Author's Note: So, I'm from a small South Pacific Island nation called New Zealand. In New Zealand and Australia we have a day called ANZAC Day. ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. ANZAC Day is the day we're we pay tribute to the aussie and kiwi soldiers who fought in world wars 1 and 2. On April 25th 1915, the ANZACs landed at the Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey. There was massive lose of life on both sides. It was the first major war New Zealand had fought in and so ANZAC Day is on the 25th of April.

I don't like doing 'specials' but considering the theme of the story, this one seems appropriate.

~~~

You yawned as you sat up in your bed. Looking out the window you noticed it was barely dawn. The sun's light just peeking out over the horizon.

Deciding not to try and go back asleep, as you most likely won't be able to, you wrapped your blanket around your shoulders and slowly walked downstairs.

As you reached the bottom step you heard the door open. Looking up you saw Ludwig come inside. He was wearing only a black tank top with his army uniform pants and boots. He looked like he'd just gone for his usual early morning run.

"Guten morgen, y/n," He greeted you, "Jou're up early."

"Couldn't get back to sleep," you yawned.

"Vell, I'll make us some breakfast zhen."

You followed the tall Germany into the kitchen. It was as clean and spotless as ever. You sat up on the bench as you watched Ludwig fry some eggs, wurst and bacon.

The smell reminded you of the classic "Kiwi Breakfast" Will used to make for you and him when you were young. Eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, fried tomatoes, roasted potatoes and Kumara (NZ sweet potato). It was greasy as hell but you loved it. You would always drown yours with tomato sauce (ketchup) and barbecue sauce.

You closed you eyes and let the memories flood through. Your Great Grandfather's lolly jar, your cousin's band, your uncle's drone races, all the times you and Mieke argued over all sorts of random, weird little things. Nerf wars with Will and Mieke.

You sighed as the homesickness set in.

Ludwig had finished cooking and the was now dishing up. He handed you your plate and sat up next to you on the bench. The two of you sat shoulder to shoulder as you ate.

"What's the date today?" You asked, although you already guessed.

"April 25th. Vhy?" He turned towards you.

"April 25th is ANZAC Day. It's like a remembrance day where I'm from." You stared at you plate.

"Australia?" Ludwig raised an eyebrow.

"No, actually," You looked up at the German, looking slightly offended, "New Zealand."

"Oh, I find it hard to see zhe difference," The blonde muttered, looking a little embarrassed.

"Well, Aussies just aren't as good as Kiwis." You stated.

Ludwig raised an eyebrow, "Perhaps zhere is a bit of a rivalry zhere?"

You shrugged, "Maybe." You saw the corner of Ludwig's mouth twitch into a small smile. You smiled back slightly before looking back down at your plate. "But, yeah..." You frowned slightly.

"Did.. Did any of jour family fight in zhe vars?" Ludwig asked softly. You nodded.

".. It's not just them I'm worried about.." You mumbled. Ludwig waited for you to continue. You took a deep breath, "When you come from a small country like New Zealand, almost everyone is a part of your family; especially during times like these." You explained. "You may not know them personally, but you still want them to come home safely..." Your hands shook slightly, "even if it's just an earthquake, a hurricane, floods, volcanic eruptions..." Ludwig nodded. He took your empty plate from your shaking hands and placed it in the sink with his. He pulled your blanket around your shoulders properly.

"Jou should go back to sleep." He helped you back onto your feet, "Feli and Kiku vill be around later zhis afternoon." You nodded, remembering last time Ludwig's friends came over. You shuffled back to bed and fell asleep.

~~~

When you awoke a few hours later, you looked up at the window as usual. But this time you noticed something odd. Someone had placed a vase of red flowers in the window sill.

You got up and walked over to the he window. Picking up one of the flowers you realised they were Poppies. You smiled softly and looked out the window. You saw two familiar faces walking towards the house. You quickly got dressed and ran down stairs to greet Feliciano and Kiku, the Poppy stuck in your hair.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.