Chapter 2 - Death and a Life Saver

He was dead before he hit the ground. The lights had gone out behind his eyes, but you still saw a glimmer of hope. You were dimly aware of the sound of a woman's muffled exclamation of horror. Everything was going in slow motion. Your hands shook, your muscles twitched, your eyes were wide open. You couldn't look away from the dead man's body. A couple of soldiers kicked the corpse roughly, making sure the old man was dead, before stepping over the body and herding the group of people away.

One soldier hanged back a bit, his slicked back blonde hair was momentarily messy has he ran a hand through it. A fellow soldier shouted what sounded like a question at him. The blonde man quickly replied. Whatever he had said, the other guy seemed to shrug in reply and continued walking.

The blonde soldier looked around, possibly wondering why the old man had stopped walking. He looked over in your direction, his eyes hidden in a shadow. You snapped yourself out of your daze as he started walking towards you.

"Come on," you said to the dog, grabbed your bag, ran off the way you had come.

Soon enough you raced at full speed, the dog running gracefully by your side. Your breath came hard and fast as your feet pounded against the pavement. You heard the sound of boots stomping on the ground behind you; the soldier was chasing after you.

You blindly turned this way and that, quickly losing all sense of direction. The pounding of the man's boots was louder now. 'He's gaining!' You told yourself, terrified. Tears streamed down your face. The image of the old man was seared into your brain; how you could've just stayed hidden and he wouldn't have died, how you couldn't help him. It frustrated you to no end. You kept running and running, now running on purely adrenaline. Everything was a blur. All that mattered was your survival. But no matter how hard you pushed yourself or how fast you ran, you were still caught.

You felt a heavy object collide with your back, forcing you to the ground. Your head hit the ground with a sickening Crack! You heard your canine friend growl at your attacker, biting his arm. You don't know what the man did but suddenly the dog stopped making a sound. Groaning, you rolled over onto your back, blood dripping from your forehead onto the cobblestone. You tried sitting up only to immediately get dizzy, black spots in your eyes. You arms collapsed under your weight and you fell back down. The blonde soldier said something to you but you couldn't hear him clearly over the sound of your heart beating in your ears.

You felt yourself being gently picked up, you tried to fight him off but you were too dazed and too tired. He was too strong though anyway, even if you were at full strength. You managed to turn you head to the side and saw the dog still alive and unharmed. The dog gazed up at you and gave a concerned whine as blood dripped down onto the ground beside him.

You blacked out.

~~~

Bang Bang Bang

The shaggy haired male fell to the ground in a bloodied heap, shielding you from the bullets. Mieke's corpse was severely disfigured and had been thrown across the room. You dropped to your knees and gripped the tanned male by his shoulders. "Will! Will!" You cried out, shaking the lifeless form.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." You looked up at the person. You couldn't see his face, but he was wearing the same military outfit you saw from earlier. "You think you can save them?" He laughed, the sound of his voice changing every word. He leveled his gun at your head. You saw a merciless, savage and crazed grin from in the shadows of his face.

Bang

~~~

You woke up screaming. Realising it was just a dream, you gripped the blanket that covered you, and forced yourself to calm down. Looking around the room, it was quite bare. Only a bed, a dresser and a bedside table with a small electric lamp on it. Your bag was placed neatly on the floor next to your bed and the dog was sleeping comfortably on your feet. Or at least was before you woke up. It was now watching you, ears pricked up and alert.

"Sorry I woke you up," You whispered to the dog, reaching over to scratch it behind the ear. You froze when you heard footsteps stomping heavily was a set of stairs. You quickly jumped out of bed, wincing slightly at your stiff limbs and headache. You quickly put your bag on your back and made it over to the window. The footsteps were closer now, louder. '10 seconds' you estimated. Glancing out the window you saw you were on the second floor of a fairly large house. '5-6 meter drop, high chance of injury.' You glanced back at the door. '5 seconds' You opened the window, a cool breeze fluttered into the room. It was dark outside except for a few houses in the distance with a couple of lights on. '3 seconds!' You tried to climb onto the window sill but your muscles didn't agree with you. '2..... 1'

The door opened.

You backed up as far as you could against the window. Knuckles turning white as you gripped the window sill tightly. A blonde man wearing a black tank top and green pants, a matching shirt tied around his waist, walked in. It was the same man who chased you! You felt your muscles twitch, ready for fight or flight, as you lean further against the window. The man must've noticed this as he put his hands up in front of him in the universal symbol of peace. You still didn't trust him, your face set in a mask of fear and hate. The blonde sighed and looked at the ground for a moment before looking back at you, asking you something in German. You blinked. The blonde tried again, but in English this time.

"Vhat's jour name?"

You stared at him for a moment, trying to decide if you should answer truthfully or not. You noticed his blue eyes were seemingly softer than you first thought, they reminded you of Will. A pang of sadness clutched your stomach.

"(y-y/n)," you finally stuttered.

"Ludvig," he said, introducing himself