11. His Little Crush

Blythe

Dean was upstairs changing into different clothes since Jessica told him to get the ketchup out of his shirt and wear a different one. He blamed me for not saying anything but to be honest, I just did it to act innocent in front of them and take my side.

              They did and now, he's sulking in his room.

              Victory is sweet.

              Jessica was in the kitchen with Dale helping her make some cookies. Turns out, Charlie, Jamie's girlfriend, was also with him so I got to know her. She's nice, funny, and really pretty. She's got wavy dirty blonde of a hair that's at shoulder length, she's a little taller than me but I still had more meat in my bones than her, she's got glossy cupid's bow lips, and hazel color for eyes.

              Wow, God's out here making some really beautiful people and here I am being left out.

              "Why isn't Grace with Dean?" Jamie asks me, wrapping an arm around Charlie.

              Even without getting to know Charlie much, I could see the love in their eyes for one another. I've always compared couples to Nathan and Chloe because I only saw them as the one perfect couple and I could tell that they have the same relationship like them.

              Now, just seeing Jamie again after a year (he's been busy more with medical school), I'm just noticing how his strawberry blonde hair has grown significantly and how it's in a small bun. He and Dean share a few looks, but he mostly looks a lot like his mom—especially with the hair—while Dean looked more like Dale. Still, no doubt that when these two siblings would get together, everyone would fall in front of their feet by how good-looking the two of them are.

              "Uhh, I-I—" I'm stuttering. Great. "I don't really know if it's my business to tell you know, Jamie."

              "Here you go!" Jessica comes over and I see her a strand of white hair being tucked behind her ear, placing two huge bowls of cookies. "I made the milk chocolate chips and Dale made white chocolate chips with the cookies. That'll subside your hunger for a while since I haven't really started on dinner."

              I blink several times. "Wait, Dale, you're baking?"

              He grins proudly, running a hand through his dark hair. Boy, does this family got good genes. Dale's almost fifty and there's no white hair showing at all but with Jessica, there's only a strand. "Yeah, I got no one else to play poker with so I helped around with the obsessive baker here."

              Jessica nudges him with her elbow before switching the topic. "So, what are we talking about?"

              "Jamie's snooping at Dean's business, again," Charlie rolls her eyes playfully at him. "He's asking why Grace isn't here."

              They face me, waiting for me to answer. "Look, I don't want to say anything that—"

              "We broke up."

              Our heads spin to Dean, coming down from the stairs, wearing black V-neck shirt and flannel. "Grace, well, broke up with me."

              "Oh, that's... I'm sorry for that, son," Dale walks up to him and gives him a short hug. "It's her loss, anyway. You're such a good catch. Plus, I've got to admit, I've never really liked her."

              "Dad!" Jamie exclaims, horror in his face. "You can't say that!"

              The older Hemmingway just cocks a brow at his son, raising his hands up. "What? It's true. The girl didn't know how to play poker or Uno and when I offered to teach her, she didn't accept, telling me that she'll just forget about it a week after they get out of the beach. She's nice, yes, but she was also condescending at times and she didn't even realize it one bit."