36. Truth

Blythe

The beeping sound is really annoying. Can't somebody turn off the alarm clock? Either that or just bang it against the wall and let it shatter to pieces. I'd rather hear that than the constant beeping.

              Beep! Beep! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

              "Ugh," I shift in my bed, or at least try to until I'm held down on my shoulders. My eyes flutter open but I'm met with a bright light. "God?"

              Am I in heaven?

              Blinking, I watch as the bright light fades into a normal fluorescent light. Oh. Every bit of my senses hits me all at once—the walls are in the color of baby blue, it smells like disinfectant and alcohol, my head fucking hurts like I've been thrown on the ground one too many times, and there's pressures on my shoulders, holding me down on the ground.

              I roll my eyes, trying to get a hold of my surroundings. The room looks large but my eyes stop at the needle stuck to my hand, connected to an IV drip. The machine making the beeping sound is next to the IV. Raising my hand other hand, I go and pull it but before I can even do it, the weights on my shoulders are lifted and someone's hand snatches my wrist, pulling back.

              I'm ready to shout, to tell the person to fuck off. It all dies on my lips at the sight of Castillo. He's wearing a tank top, a bandage surrounding his chest and shoulder.

              It all hits me in a flash. Him getting shot, Max being Rachel, me being taken, hit on the head, and stabbed in the stomach.

               "Casti—" I cough, feeling the dryness of my throat. He lets my hand go and grab the water near the couch beside my bed, placing it near my lips. With a few gulps, he puts it back. "How long was I out?" He puts up his index finger, giving me a small smile. "A day? That's it? Why does it feel like I've been out for a few days? And how can you even stand right now with that injury? Where's everyone? Dios mio, Dean, where is he?"

              He raises his palms up, pushing them down on my shoulder gently. A way for him to tell me to calm down. "Getting stabbed will make you feel that way. Nickson's grabbed a doctor to let them know you're awake. Dean is outside with his family. Don't worry, Antonio told them the truth so they wouldn't worry."

              "What truth is that?"

              He merely shrugs. "Just that someone you were in an orphanage with wanted you dead as some sort of vendetta. He told them that she has been trying to find you and managed to get close to you. No one knows the full story because you're the only one who can tell us. Don't worry, I won't ask and neither will anyone. Although, I think your boyfriend and his family might. And, Antonio introduced himself as your adoptive father and Nickson and I as his brothers, meaning your uncle."

              "Again, not my boyfriend. It's fine," I nod. "You guys are family anyways. I don't have any objections to it."

              Before I can ask more questions, a small woman wearing a coat and a stethoscope around her neck comes in with a smile. Behind her, Nickson, Antonio, and a nurse follows in. Nickson gives me a nod, sitting on the couch while Antonio takes over Castillo's place, holding my hand.

              "You scared me, Orca," he whispers. "Don't do that again."

              "Do what again?"

              "I'm Doctor Monica Ronald." The woman, in her mid-fourties, introduces herself, a smile forming in her pretty face. "You gave us quite a scare. You were dead for two minutes, any more than reaching up to three, you could have formed a damage to your brain considering that you have trauma to the head. I'll check you up but I'll ask a few questions, okay?"