19. Heart Attack

Blythe

I feel like shit. The getaway Saturday and Sunday delayed the mourning but here I am, walking up to my classes with a frown on my face and just being quiet as some of my classmates asks questions regarding on the lessons that the professors were teaching on.

Dean helped in dressing me up. He didn't look, as he shouldn't, but he prepared my clothes and forced me to wear them as he pushed me inside the bathroom. He wanted me to eat breakfast while he fixed himself but when I didn't anything, he understood and let it go since we were already late. The whole thirty-minute ride was pure silent. He held my hand to try to comfort me but I just spaced out while I stared at the window.

I can't afford to be like this when someone's targeting me but I can't help it. My brother just died and they couldn't even wait a month before they start to scare me. I don't exactly know what they're planning or why they would take my knife but when I find out who they are, I'm going to end them.

The whole classes passed by with a blur, probably since I've been spacing out, and it was lunch already.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. It's Dean.

We're at Sal's for lunch. You want to come?

Though every bone on my body wanted to stay at the apartment, I still knew that I couldn't have my judgement be compromised. Dean's safe as long as he's in the university. He's surrounded by his teammates and classmates at his classes. It's public so no one would dare to harm him.

Me? The best way not to get killed is to stick with Dean since he's the only person I'm close with and because sticking with a lot of people will make it harder for someone to kill their target.

Okay. I text back to him before starting to walk to Sal's.

It's only a seven-minute walk and the street can get very crowded since next to Sal's is a dessert shop or kind of like that. I've never really had a sweet tooth about those things so I didn't pay much attention to it. I was just thankful that it's crowded even though I hate it at the same time.

When I arrived at the diner, I see the guys have taken a spot in the middle, having two long tables attached so they can all sit together. Though I only met them one time and had glance them at the party and at their training, I still have good memory so it was easy to remember their names.

"Hi," Caleb glances up at me with a small smile. "What are you doing here?"

"I invited her," Dean, sitting in front of Caleb, answers for me but not before shooting daggers at Caleb subtly. He glances at me. "Come on, sit beside me."

Harvey, Rhett, Phoenix, and Dave just stare at me, waiting for me to move.

As I walk up to the seat next to him, Caleb stands and starts to walk next to the seat next to mine. We sit down at the same time, with his eyes never leaving mine. When I turned to glance at Dean, he's also staring at me with a brow raised.

I'm guessing this isn't going to end well.

"Hey, um, I heard about your brother," Caleb says. I just nod silently. "I'm sorry."

"Thanks," I breathe, still feeling my chest constrict at the thought of Nathan again.

Under the table, Dean takes my hand, slyly interlocking our fingers. It was his way to let me know that he knows I'm struggling, a way to comfort me, and to make sure I'm okay.

I squeeze his hold and he squeeze back.

"About the party," Caleb continues and I could feel Dean beside me getting tense as he listens in our conversation while talking to the guys beside him. "If you need time, I completely understand. When you're okay, we can go out sometime?"