28. For The Best

Blythe

I wasn't able to sleep that night. My shoulder started to hurt when I rolled over the bed to take a shower to get ready for my class and though normally, I would take a pill for the pain, I didn't. I knew that it'll stop hurting after I let it rest and not move it so much for the day. Bike racing and sex strained it too hard so the rest would be logical. I can write with my left hand anyways.

Checking myself in the mirror, I finally feel a little better about seeing the bruise on my jaw now gone and the one on my nose faded a little bit. Castillo didn't make a permanent damage that left me with a crooked nose and I'm a little grateful for that. He had a chance to be cruel to me; bruised ribs and a broken nose was his kindest action towards me.

Nickson, that asshole, didn't spare me enough time to actually process that he was going to dislocate my shoulder. He just kicked me and popped it out of place. I don't regret giving all what I got when I punched him.

Leaving Caleb in my room, I walk over to the kitchen, grabbing my phone that's vibrating on the kitchen island. It's Chloe, wanting to video call.

For a while, Chloe and I have been talking without Rosalie. We tried to reach out and ask her how she's doing, still, she's been a no-show to our promises to keep talking to one another. The two of us are annoyed about it; though, I'm a little bit glad to have an alone-time with Chloe since I wasn't still comfortable in placing all my dirty laundry in front of Rosalie seeing as how she's younger than me even if it's just a year or two apart.

She could really tell that something was bothering me when I picked up so I tell her everything. Dean and I fighting, him getting back together with Grace, me actually getting it with his teammate—the quarterback of the football team, and me ending up with this big ball of regret for everything.

"Is Caleb still there?" I nod and her eyes turn wide. "Wow. From what you've told me, I thought you kicked him out already. I thought you didn't like it when you overstayed at these one-night stands? So, why are you letting Caleb?"

Shrugging, I sigh. "I don't know. He was nice. I actually had a great time at the date."

"And the sex?" When I don't answer, she shakes her head, a coy smile appearing in her face. "Damn. Poor guy."

"Chloe!"

She raises a hand in the air. "Okay, okay. Chill, Bly. Look, it's the first date. Some people actually don't feel stuff at the first date. You should try to go out with him more and maybe, your feelings will start to develop. I know you're hung up on Dean but let's face it, he's stupid and not right for you the moment he decided to go back together with his ex when you two had just a fight."

I wanted to tell her that it wasn't a fight. It was the end of whatever we could have been and I was the one who decided it. Instead, I told her that he just called me a thug, blaming it all on him. No one could ever know why I did it in the first place and telling her about it will just make it all complicated.

"How about you?" She gives me a 'hmm' as a question and I clarify. "I mean, you and Nate. You didn't like him at your first date?"

There's sadness flashing in her eyes when she shakes her head again. "It's different when it came to him. He infuriated me whenever he got the chance and I did the same thing. Our first date ended up with a wine thrown at his expensive suit—" I gasp and she chuckles "—yeah, I did it. He threw me over his shoulder like a caveman and while I was like that, I just got nervous all of a sudden. He made me nervous. He made me feel all these different things that it confused me all the time on what I was feeling. Just the sight of him would make me go crazy in a second. That's how it was like with him."