CHAPTER VII

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I wait in the elevator, I sigh internally when a light flashes signaling that there will be a stop before I actually make it to the thirteenth floor. Seriously, why is this building so tall?

Okay, so I'm scared of heights like crazy. When Nat and I were younger, our parents took us to Southern California, the hotspot for theme parks. We were in love with The Peanuts at the time, so we went to Knots Berry Farm.  I think the major reason, though, was that it was like five times cheaper than Disneyland.

Anyways, we went to the kid/Snoopy section of the theme park and we had so much fun. That was, until THE FARRIS WHEEL!!!!!

Actually, it was a mini Farris Wheel. Hoping to get entertained by my acrophobia, Nat dared me to go on the Farris Wheel-- alone.

As the Farris Wheel began to turn, I sealed my eyes shut, grabbed onto the railings, and recited all the prayers my grandma had taught me.

....Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us of our sins....

That's when I opened my eyes and realized that I was at the very top, dangling. A piece of metal determined life and death.

Natalie should have prayed that prayer. She definitely needed to be forgiven from her wicked schemes to see my demise.

But, to be fair, she bought me a funnel cake afterward. And yes, I enjoyed it all by myself. With two scoops of vanilla ice cream.

Wait, why am I thinking of funnel cakes?

Oh ya, my acrophobia.

The elevator ring wakes me from my somewhat pleasant thoughts and I unconsciously grab for my phone. The last thing I want to do right now is to strike up a conversation.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love people and I'm sociable. But sometimes I don't have the guts to strike up a conversation with a random employee (in this case).

The person walks in and goes to the elevator floor panel. I manage to take a peep while the person dials in the floor number.

Okay, he looks like a really cool janitor. If I saw him on a street, I would presume he was a Ronald Reagan-type politician. He had the age and most probably the wit.

I put my phone away out of respect for his age and smile in his direction. It might sound weird to some, but my parents taught me to revere my seniors.

"Do you work on level 13?" he asks, returning my smile.

I nod, eyeing the elevator floor panel.

"You don't look like you work on level 13."

"Why would you make such a presumption?"

"Nobody smiles on that level," he says, almost in a whisper. "Nobody."

I look at him quizzically.

"Let me give you some advice," he says straightening his posture. "Everybody on that level is corrupt. Every relationship you make on that level will be false."

He takes a deep breath.

"Be who you are, Brooke. In every situation, think twice before you act. Suspect everyone. Hesitate before complying. Open your knowledge or suspicions to no one. Partake in nothing beyond what you were hired for."

Wait. How does he know who I am? I haven't even gotten my name tag yet!

"Who do I trust?"

"Alek Gorman."

"Are you Alek Gorman?"

"No."

"Then who are you?"

"You have everything you need to find me."

And with that, the elevator doors open and he vanishes through the halls.

The elevator door closes and continues its course upward.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

-----