Chapter 2: Dazed

The two weeks that followed was strangely Weasley free.  Not that they didn’t want Ron to be there, but they had quite a few things to work out between them, still, and perhaps it was better if Ron wasn’t there to interrupt all the time. 

Ron wrote them, of course, and Harry was just glad Ron hadn’t asked him questions about Hermione.  He didn’t know if he could stand to lie to Ron about her, and he wasn’t sure how to say what he had to say about it, either. 

Harry had wondered, time and again, how he was going to break such a thing to their best friend, especially if Ron fancied her. 

Oh, by the way, Ron, he imagined himself writing.  Hermione and I have been sleeping together every day, sometimes two times a day, in the last two weeks.  I hope that’s alright with you.

The mere prospect of it made him groan. 

Hermione was mum about what Ron wrote her.  She certainly didn’t look as if they bothered her, and Harry thought that was a good sign.  Of course, the fact that Ron had mentioned absolutely nothing about it could mean it was bad, too. 

Harry wondered if Hermione was capable of lying to Ron to spare his feelings but realized that Hermione would never do such a thing. 

Ginny wrote to him, as well.

Her letters were filled with chatter and good cheer, as if they had never been anything more than friends in the sixth year but he noticed, with slight apprehension, that she always signed her letters, “Love, Ginny.”

He didn’t know if it meant anything, but he thought maybe he had to be careful about what he wrote her back. 

His first reply to Ginny was a smashing failure, as after he gave it a read, it was filled with “Hermione and I” and “We” and “Us.”

Honestly, why don’t I just tell her Hermione and I just finished showering together and that my hair’s still wet as I’m writing this?

He didn’t want to encourage Ginny, but he didn’t want to be mean if she still had feelings for him, either.  So he had to redo his letter, crossing out sentences and phrases.  He left a smattering of “Hermione and I” while he sprinkled some Remus in the mix.  The letter ended up being very short, and it occurred to him that it was because everything he had been doing included Hermione somehow, and that left very little to tell if he was going to avoid “Hermione and I” in his letters.

By the fourth letter, Harry was tired of editing and decided that he would just write whatever came to mind.  Consequently, that lengthened the letter a bit, but only because “Hermione and I” wasn’t being edited out anymore. 

Ginny stopped writing after the seventh letter. 

When Remus told them at dinner that Ron and Arthur would be arriving the following day at Grimmauld Place, Harry tried not to look so flustered.  He desperately avoided meeting Hermione’s eyes as he was sure Remus would find them out if he was caught looking. 

Remus had, for the most part, said nothing about having seen them kissing in Harry’s bedroom.  They were careful, anyhow, not to get caught kissing or doing God Knew What.

Harry prayed the old werewolf really didn’t know the things they did when he wasn’t around, and that he wasn’t just turning a blind eye to it all.

Even Harry blushed at the mere memory of how he and Hermione had carried on in the last two weeks.  Mrs. Black would be hideously outraged. 

He didn’t know what got into him, sometimes.  He wasn’t exactly the most experienced young man in the world (not by a long shot!), but he had, in the two short weeks he had been with Hermione, begun to understand what “chemistry” meant.  It was almost crazy how he often felt that he knew exactly what he was doing in that respect, and the fact that Hermione never complained about when, where and how hadn’t helped his self restraint, either.