Chapter 24: Lull

Harry woke up to the sound of banging on his bedroom door. 

His eyes ached from lack of sleep, and turning over on his bed, he shoved his glasses on so he could get a proper look at the time.  It was almost nine in the morning, way too early for him to be awake.  Way too early for anyone to be disturbing him, so it must be important. 

Sighing, he padded to the door in his pajamas and t-shirt.  When he opened it and found Draco, Harry grumbled a sleepy curse, turned, and shut the door at Draco’s face as he padded on back to bed.

“Potter!  Get back here!  Unlike some people, I have to go to work!”

There was something terribly fascinating about what Draco said that actually made Harry stop to consider it. 

Malfoy, the spoiled rich prat, is lecturing me about work. 

Harry laughed softly as he climbed back beneath his sheets.  “Sod off, Malfoy.  Unlike some people, I make it my business to save the wizarding world, so you can just kiss my arse.” He flopped back down and closed his eyes, utterly content by the fact that he was pissing Draco off. 

“Dammit!” Draco growled.  “You have my wand, and the detainment spell on my anklet’s still active.  Potter, if I don’t go to work, I don’t get paid, and that’s just fucking fantastic, because it means I’m going to be very, very, annoying starting right about now.”  He started singing “It’s A Small World” tunelessly and showed no signs of stopping. 

Harry had to admit that Draco was just awful enough to drive anyone mad.  He cast a silencio on the door which really did the trick, and Harry quite happily began to close his eyes when it occurred to him that Draco really did just want to get to his job and that Harry was actually keeping the bloke from an honest day’s work. 

Damn my Gryffindor conscience.  Damn!!!

Sighing, he got out of bed, wand in hand.  He opened the door and Draco was seated beside it, still singing his arse off.

Draco stopped singing and rose to his feet, glaring at Harry.  “Well?”

Harry waved his wand and removed the spell. 

“And my wand?” Draco said, holding his hand out. 

Harry levitated Draco’s wand from the coat hanging on his wall and darted it straight at Draco, like an arrow. 

Draco had to duck to avoid it.  It hit the wall behind Draco before clattering to the floor.  “You’ve become a big, ugly bully, Potter.”

“Humph.  And you’re still alive, thanks to me.  Run along now.”

“Run along, indeed.  Right good mood, you’re in.  Granger still hasn’t put out?”

“Unlike you, Malfoy, I don’t go after easy women.”

“I never have to go after women, period.  They go after me.”

“Right.  Which is why you have to pay for sex.  It’s nine o’ clock.  You’re late for work.”  He shut the door on Draco’s face a second time and climbed back into bed. 

Draco didn’t bother him again. 

Harry managed to find sleep again for another three hours, after which he woke, had a quick meal and spent a considerable amount of time practicing the meditative techniques Hermione had taught him.  Loathe as he was to admit that Hermione’s fruity ex-boyfriend had benefited him somehow, he couldn’t help but think that the techniques did appear to be useful.  He seemed to be gaining an understanding of manipulating his focus to suit his Legilimens, even if he couldn’t quite apply it the way he was supposed to.  Not yet, at least.  He knew he’d get it sooner or later.  Sooner, likelier, than later.  Even he couldn’t deny he had a weird knack for these things.