Chapter 19: Journey

Hermione thought it was strange to be on the Hogwarts Express.  When she left Grimmauld Place five years ago, she thought she would never have the pleasure of riding it again.  Some of her happiest, and if not the happiest—most unforgettable—, memories were from within the cars of the bright-red locomotive.  But mostly, the Hogwarts Express had—to her—always been a bearer of possibilities.  She had envisioned many a bright school days and exciting evenings as the train chugged over its rails, bringing them to the school nestled in the highlands of Scotland; a school of fantasy, with ghosts, dragons, giants, three-headed dogs, centaurs, merpeople, basilisks, secret chambers and giant spiders, but most amazing of all, she had friends; true ones who showed her their loyalty as fiercely as she showed them hers. In the end, the points and prefect badge and being Head Girl had mattered the least.  Harry had meant more to her than perfect N.E.W.T.s and her friendship with Harry and Ron had always taken precedence over school rules. 

When Harry told her that evening that the meeting of the governing board would be held in Hogwarts, she felt equal parts dread and delight.  She missed the old haunts, the reassuring sanctuary of knowledge, the excitement of feasts in the Great Hall, the warmth and comfort of their common rooms.  She would visit the images of these memories, and that was something to look forward to, but she also knew that Hogwarts had ceased to be the bastion of childhood and dreams when it was invaded in their sixth year through the ingenious efforts of a member of their peer, when the great wizard and Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, was flung from the Astronomy Tower, and when—most earth-shattering of all—a professor had done the murdering.  Professor Snape, though not inconceivably traitorous, was a far cry from the fanatical and possessed Professor Quirrel.  Professor Snape had had a choice.  He had, through no merit of his own, gained the trust of one of the most revered and beloved wizards of the century, and Snape had flung that trust right back at Dumbledore’s face.

Still, she recalled wishing they could go back for their seventh year.  She had wished they could all forget there were horcruxes, and Voldemort and all the other things attached to it.  She had daydreamed about being Head Girl and Harry Head Boy, holding hands as they patrolled the hallways, maybe catch a snog in the dark corners themselves, and if indeed, if there was any truth to the rumors about Head Suites… well, they would most certainly make use of that convenience.  She even daydreamed about Quidditch, much as she disliked the sport.  She only watched it to support her boys (and to make sure neither of them got killed), but she wasn’t above admiring Harry’s broom handling, especially when he was in uniform. 

So Hogwarts was something of a family reunion to her.  Some members you want to see again, some you don’t, but you’re always optimistic about having things go better than the cynic in you is apt to think. 

The thought of seeing McGonagall again filled her with angst and anticipation.  Out of everyone she left behind, it was McGonagall’s reaction she couldn’t envision. She and the Headmistress had always thought on parallel lines, but McGonagall’s wisdom had inspired many of Hermione’s most brilliant breakthroughs. 

Would McGonagall understand what compelled Hermione to leave those five years ago?  Or would the Headmistress’s wisdom prove that Hermione’s sacrifice was all for naught?

Hermione didn’t know what to hope for. 

Tearing her eyes from the dark landscape of outside, she looked to Solomon and Lucien who were sitting right across her in the compartment, the steady rocking of the train the only thing moving them at all. 

Earlier that evening, Lucien and Solomon had the pleasure of meeting the rest of the household and it had been a rather revealing evening for her.

~~