Chapter 27: Day, Morning, Twilight

Jessica and her army were fighting the hundreds of thousands of hive that were pouring out of the crater that was once capital city. "We don't have enough men to keep on like this!" Johnson shouts. "The line will hold!" Jessica yells. "How do you know?!" Johnson yells in disbelief. "Just wait!" Jessica yells. The fighting continues for hours and the circle is exponentially getting smaller each hour. The hivemind and Tristan started fighting a hour ago, and Tristan looks like he's losing. The hivemind is so confident it can win it uses it's longest tentacles to attack the army.

On the moon Tristan is getting pummeled by the hivemind. "I told you to leave. This is your fault!" The hivemind yells. Tristan keeps on cutting off the hivemind's tentacles but there's too many for him.

Jessica doesn't have enough soldiers to plan a counter strategy. "What're you going to do?!" Johnson yells. "I don't know!" Jessica yells. Johnson grabs her shoulder. "You're the only one who can save us!" He yells. Then a leaper jumps onto Johnson and he's pulled into the swarm of hive. "Johnson!" Jessica yells. Laura and Sam notice he was pulled into the swarm. "Dad!!" They both yell. The two of them start slashing their way through the swarm in order to find Johnson. They don't. Then Julian pulls Sam back to the line. "Grab Laura!!" Sam yells trying to grab her. Julian reaches his hand to try and find her. He can't. Sam and Julian slash their way to where they last saw Laura, she's on the ground dying. "No!" Sam yells. Julian stares with a blank expression. Then Jessica pulls both of them out. "I lost two good soldiers, I'm not losing another two!" She yells trying to encourage them. The army grows smaller by the minute, at this rate it's impossible to win the war. To survive annihilation. 

On the moon Tristan is still getting beat by the hivemind. He's missing both of his arms. "You can't win if you don't have any arms. Why are you still fighting?!" The hivemind asks confused by Tristan's actions. "I still fight because it's the right thing to do!" Tristan yells. "Why do the right thing for these people when they've done nothing for you! It's illogical!" The hivemind yells. "They've done everything for me! I owe them everything! I owe them my closure with my best friend's death! I owe them for giving me a family! I owe them for allowing me to be on this planet! The least I can do is save them!" Tristan yells setting his mech to self destruct and launching it toward the hivemind. Tristan ejects and has his wheelchair catch him. The hivemind is heavily damaged by it. "How dare you!" The hivemind says quickly recovering. "Huh, thought that'd work." Tristan says. The hivemind attacks but then Tristan's reinforcements arrive.    

One of the mechs lands and protect Tristan from the hivemind. "Nice to see you sir." A familiar voice says. "Nicholas?!" Tristan asks in shock. "The one an only." Nicholas says laughing. "It's good to see you." Tristan says smiling.