The First of Many To Come

Avi Kaplan was very normal.

He buried himself in his work.

He was the CEO of Sequoia Inc. 

A very prosperous company that occasionally met with smaller businesses to do deals with them.

In order to maintain this business, he moved to New York City. Right in the heart, too.

Correction. He had to move to New York.

Today was his flight, and he already shipped all of his boxes of necessities. He was buying new furniture once he got there, which was useful.

Now, this isn't to say he was a rude or stern person. Quite the opposite, actually.

He was just normal. That's all.

Kirstin Maldonado lived the dream. Well, her dream.

She also buried herself in her work, however it was very different from a 9-5 job.

She was an artist. Mainly photography, but occasionally she painted or sketched.

She even got payed for it.

That was the best part, to her.

Getting payed to live her dream.

She wasn't one of the ditzy artists you always hear about in movies. She was not neurotic. She was quite the opposite.

She had her priorities straight, and she didn't like it when you assumed she didn't, thank you very much.

Kirstin also had a fiance, Jeremy, who broke off their engagement about six months ago. She was over him, she didn't want you to think she wasn't. She was long over him. If Jeremy was a town in LA, she was already across the country from him.

Well, quite literally. She moved to New York City after the break up.

What? It was a fresh start. Plus, New York has a great photography industry.

---

"Morning, Kirstie," Kirstie's receptionist, Mitch, greeted her. Mitch also happened to be her best friend, the first person she met when she moved here.

"Morning, Mitch."

"You have a meeting with Sequoia Inc today, correct?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Unfortunately?"

"Probably some arrogant, money crazed, guy who wants to buy out my business and make me work for him. Which, he won't. I make enough money to pay all of you, make a living, and then some."

"You are one of the best artists in the city."

"I am not," Kirstie chuckled, setting coffee she grabbed for Mitch down at his table.

"Okay, you're the best unrecognized artist in the city. It's not like you're a celebrity, but you've been featured in many museums and people are constantly buying your art."

"Yeah, that's true. Probably helps I'm right in the heart of NYC."

"Probably," he replies, sipping his coffee and clacking away at his keyboard.

"How are you and Scott?"

"Scott who?" he asks, blushing.

"You're crush on my other best friend. The second gayest man I know. The guy I introduced you to.."

"I don't.."

"Spit it out, Kissyboy."

"Fine. We're going to get coffee tomorrow morning."