CHAPTER SIX

Whitedust and Oryx made it to their house, and Whitedust tried to run upstairs before Harp would say anything. She squished herself into the tiniest form she could manage and tried to inch up the steps, but it was too late; her mother had seen her.

"Whitedust, Dear!" Harp exclaimed, "Anything new?" Harp's mind was the little hum like before. Whitedust couldn't read her mother's thoughts, Only her father's.

"No, Mom," Whitedust sighed, accepting her fate that she couldn't make it upstairs. She stood up tall. "Nothing new, like usual. What about you?"

Harp opened her mouth, about to say something, but Oryx interrupted her, "Whitedust is hitting on that nerd, Barren!" He had the stupidest grin on his face as he pointed towards his daughter. Whitedust could swear that her father's mind was stuck at the age of two; he could never keep a secret, and he had always liked causing mischief.

"WHAAAT?" Harp teased. "Three MOONS, we need to prepare for their marriage!"

"Oh my- no Mom, just," Whitedust stuttered as she looked into her mother's eyes; those odd, beautiful green eyes. "No." Whitedust wrapped her tail barb around her front talons. She was very uncomfortable talking about this stuff, and she wanted to go upstairs and talk to Scroll. Right. NOW.

"Alright, Love" Harp raised her eyebrows and gave her a 'This isn't over' look.

As Whitedust was running upstairs, Harp caught her again, and for a split second Whitedust thought she was going to bug her about Barren. Are you serious??? I thought you just said I could go!! Whitedust thought

But instead she said: "Wait, Dear! Could you and your father go hunting for tomorrow's breakfast?"

Whitedust was just about to murder herself from all of this. Was it TOO MUCH to just go in her room for a FEW HOURS and talk to Scroll ALONE??? "Fine" Whitedust sighed deeply.

Oh Darling, are you KIDDING me? I JUST came home! Oryx complained in his head. And so did Whitedust, now why should we do so when our bones are aching, and our jaws and talons are too sore to do anything but lay down? But even though Oryx complained in his head, his response to his loved one was: "Whatever you wish, Dear."

Whitedust tried so dearly to be like her parents. Kind, responsible, respectful, loving, caring, and so much more. She wished she was a mother, to love and care for her child. But she feared what her future child would look like because of her being a hybrid, and she wouldn't want it to be picked on like she was.

"Come, Whitedust" Oryx motioned to her.

But I want... No, I NEED to talk to SCROOOOOOLLLLL!!!! Whitedust thought, whining. She rolled her eyes.

"Bye, Dear!" Oryx said as he was at the doorway.

"Goodbye, I love you too!" Harp said joyfully.

Whitedust followed her father out the door with her head down, and she didn't look back at her mother.

As Whitedust and Oryx were soaring over the Sand Kingdom, Oryx asked, "What do you want for breakfast tomorrow?"

"Eh," Whitedust replied. "As long as it's food, I'm okay. I mean, I really just want to go home and-" oof Whitedust thought. "And... do nothing in my room for the rest of the day..."

"Mhmm.." Oryx tilted his head towards his daughter, not believing a word she just said. His face changed. His mouth wasn't a frown or a smile, and his eyes were sad. "Whitedust, you don't have to hide anything from me." He paused looking at her, "You know that. Tell me what's really going on."

Whitedust had the thought of Scroll. He knows... I have to tell him... Everything. "Father-" Whitedust started, but right before she could spoil anything and everything, Oryx interrupted her. She was very grateful for that.