CHAPTER NINE

Whitedust had felt guilty for what had just happened, but she didn't want to show her guilt. She was very good at hiding her emotions because of all the other dragons she'd met before who were telling her how ugly she was as a hybrid. What a joy.

But not Barren... She thought to herself. She shook her head and her eyes drooped. She knew Barren was a sweet dragonet, but... Great, she just had to make herself feel a lot worse just by thinking about it.

She thought Barren was a nice dragonet and all, but she didn't have interest in him the way he did to her. Well. She thought; she didn't know, she was just so confused - AAAARRRRGHH all of her emotions rattled inside of her head like scavengers trying to escape a small enclosed cage. She continued to flap her wings towards home; beat. beat. But she actually wasn't planning to go home any time, especially being so soon, she hadn't even been out of the house for an hour. She felt as though she hadn't gone out long enough, and if she did return back home, her mother would probably send her back out again anyway to make more "friends" and her dad would tell her to go find Barren. Yet, she needed to be out of her house. She didn't even want to consider flying back because she didn't want the temptation of talking to Scroll. Yet.

Although, as Whitedust soared, she remembered why she had even gone out in the first place. She stopped right at the edge of Possibility and landed her feet into the sand, digging her claws into a little pond. She looked down at the scroll Barren had given her from his scroll sack. She tried not to remind herself that Barren had given that to her for his advantage to be with her, and talk to her, get to know her, and just because he was downright sweet, but she took it from him for the advantage of Scroll and her to talk more.

Whitedust shook her head again; she didn't want to think of that. She had realized that there weren't any dragons around her, and she was grateful for that. She could finally think for once without worrying about other dragons' problems. This or that, when and where, who and why? Dragons' minds wandered about as much as hers did, and it hurt when they were all being piled up in her head all at once. Most dragons were very confusing as well, and it was hard for her to even grasp what was going on in there. Looking at a dragon, Whitedust would have never even begun to guess how difficult their inner mind was, and how they were going through hard decisions just like she was at some points.

Whitedust examined the scroll in her talons. It was a light tint of brown and yellow and it had dark brown swirls painted all around on it, and in those swirls were small detailed cacti and lizards and she even thought she saw a scavenger silhouette at some point. The swirls had led up to a SandWing dragon head roaring up in the sky. It looked pretty neat in her opinion - very detailed and precise. The prettiest part was, is that it looked as though Barren had painted all of it himself. Such beautiful handiwork...

Too bad she had to ruin it.

Whitedust's ears drooped for the thousandth time that day. She wondered how animus magic worked. She didn't know anything about it except the stories her dad used to tell her. He said it was very powerful and dangerous in the wrong talons. Yeah, that was basically it. Whitedust never was interested in it, especially because she didn't know anything about it. Whenever her parents would attempt to tell her a story, she'd just zone out or daydream or even sleep at some points. She had heard her mother talk about this character named Darkstalker a couple of times, blah blah blah, evil, blah blah. But she didn't know what he did or anything like that. Whitedust sure wasn't going to ask her parents about animus magic now. She feared that they would get on to her, and she did not want that; she was already weird as weird could be, and she didn't want any more weirdness to be known by everyone else in her own life. Whitedust didn't even understand what type of dragons, what specific tribe or bloodlines would have anything to do with it, but she did wonder sometimes and think to herself how much easier it would be if her father would help her (maybe) being an animus as well.