CHAPTER SEVEN

Whitedust and Oryx walked into their house. "Harp, Dear!" Oryx exclaimed, "We have SCAVENGERS for breakfast!!!"

Harp giggled. "Oh, I have only had a couple before; but I have heard that most people have those as pets."

Oryx looked a little guilty for killing the creatures. "Yeah, but you're gonna like them. They're really delicious, and besides, it's not like they're dragons or anything." He took Harp's talons in his. Dear, he thought, we need to talk...

Harp smiled up at Oryx. "Thank you." She said.

As this was happening, Whitedust was slinking her way towards the stairs and up to her room. See saw Harp glance over at her and smile, so Whitedust suspected that her work had been done.

Whitedust went in her room and closed the door. She ran over and picked the scroll up from under the bed.

SCROLL! She wrote.

Almost instantly after she wrote her note, Scroll's ink was already appearing on the parchment: Hello, Whitedust.

Happy hatching day!!! Whitedust exclaimed, grinning as she wrote it.

Well thank you! He said. What's up?

Whitedust remembered what Barren had thought when they were walking away from each other. "I can't wait to tell Scroll"... Scroll wasn't a usual name; plus, Whitedust had thought of that nickname just for him. But she might as well ask. Better to be safe than sorry...

Scroll... She wrote slowly, Do you talk to anybody else?

Scroll didn't reply for quite some time. Whitedust actually thought it sounded weird after she read her message over again. Oops, she thought. Does he think I mean a girl?

Finally, the golden rims sparkled. No, why?

Whitedust trusted Scroll, but this made her a little suspicious. Do you know anybody named Barren?

Whitedust, he wrote, if you think I am conspiring with somebody behind your back, you are terribly mistaken. I only have one scroll, and that is linked to yours. You are the only dragon I can talk to.

Whitedust frowned. She scurried over to grab a cloth holding at least seven desert berries. I wonder... She touched one of the berries and whispered under her breath, "Multiply."

The berry instantly turned into two. Whitedust stumbled back, holding the scroll in her talons. She fell right into the ink and quill as it all spilled over in the sand.

Talons and tails... She thought. She touched the sandy ink on the ground and mumbled, "every drop of ink, go back in to the ink pot."

Whitedust watched as the ink flew up in the air and hurried over to the little pot with a tiny plop.

No way... Whitedust thought with a gasp. I'm an animus... This can't be. I didn't have powers like this yesterday, did I? I must admit, I have never really talked to any objects before in my life... I don't understand.

Whitedust took the quill and started writing again. Scroll, do you know anything about animus magic?

Gold reflected in her eyes: Not much, why; are you still wanting to know where I am? Where to find me?