Prologue

Within moments, a white ball appeared before me. Using all of my strength, I hit it. To my dismay, the other team received it with ease. Landing on the ground, I watched the ball, not removing my eyes for even a second. They spiked it, and once again, I ran.

---

BANG

Slowly opening her eyes, a brunette woke up to find herself sprawled across the floor, entangled within her blankets. Muttering, she got up and looked at the clock.

7:02 AM

Wishing to be at school by 8:30 the girl had nearly an hour and a half to get ready. Thinking that it would be better to be early than late, she walked into the washroom and began to wash up. Once she was finished, she put on some makeup and braided her brown, wavy hair. Finishing off her look, she arranged her bangs so they would cover her eyes and put on a pair of large, circular glasses.

Looking into the mirror, she stood there in awe. She looked...plain.

Mitsuko was never one to lie. She knew that she was what society considered to be a "beautiful" person. However, for her, being attractive came with far too many disadvantages. Thinking it would be easier to live, Mitsuko decided to dress more plainly. 'Maybe I overdid it though,' the girl thought.

Deciding that it was time for breakfast, she made her way down the stairs, her bag slung over her shoulders. As the girl got closer to the kitchen, she could hear her mom humming, the smell of pancakes drifting through the air. Giving her mother a cheerful greeting, the brunette quickly sat down.

Her mother, still humming, began to turn around. "Lala~ Good morn- AHHH MITSU W-WHA!?" the older woman yelled. She lost her balance and the plate in her hand began to slide off.

"MOM! NOOO! DON'T DROP THE FOOD!" Mitsuko panicked.

Her mother shrieked, regained her balance, and caught the plate in time, setting it on the table. "Thanks so much for worrying about me, my caring daughter," She said, rolling her eyes. "Anyways, your appearance shocked me quite a bit."

The girl grinned as she put a few pancakes on her plate. "Sorry for surprising you Mom but you know it'll be easier this way," The brunette said as she shoved the pancake into her mouth. "You know how troublesome school was for me because of my looks."

"But I wanted to see my daughter dress more cutely for school~ You're finally wearing a cute uniform," The mother whined. "You weren't like this before. You didn't mind your looks until the accident.." She quickly stopped talking, realizing what she said.

Mitsuko looked at her mother for a few moments before sighing.

"Sorry Mitsu.. I didn't mean to.." she said sheepishly.

"It's fine..You didn't really mean it anyways," The girl said softly. They continued the rest of the meal in silence. Once she was finished with her meal, Mitsuko picked up her bag and made her way to the entrance. "I'll be leaving now mom," she hollered. As her mother told her to have a nice day, Mitsuko began her trip to school.

---

"Class, please welcome our new student."

The class quieted down, eager and excited to see a new face.

Walking into the room was a plainly dressed girl. With her brown hair in braids, bangs so long that they covered her face and glasses so circular and unfashionable, it was easy to see why everyone was disappointed and uninterested. She was plain — boring — even. Nothing about her seemed interesting.

"Hello, my name is Aoyama Mitsuko. Please take care of me."

Silence filled the air as they awkwardly stared at the brunette, expecting her to add onto her introduction.

"Ah...um, does anyone have any questions for her?" The teacher asked, trying to break the silence that had filled the room. Fortunately, someone raised their hand.

"Why did you move here, Aoyama-san?"

"My dad got relocated back here for work."

"Well, it's not the only reason," Mitsuko thought.

Another student raised their hand. "What school did you previously attend?" They asked.

"Oh, you wouldn't know it since I attended a school in Canada."

At the sound of this, the class' interest in Mitsuko piqued once again as she was barraged with questions. After all, it was interesting to have a transfer student from another country. However, in amidst of all the chaos, the brunette only had one thought on her mind.

And that was to not stand out. To leave the past behind. To have it kept away within the depths of her memory.