Chapter 9 - Altercation

"Things are.. a little tense huh?" Yachi said, clutching her backpack straps.

Mitsuko stopped in her tracks, thinking back to the match between Karasuma and Nekoma, where Hinata had tried to spike the ball, crashing into Asahi. What followed that, the discussion between Kageyama, Hinata and Sugawara, had increased the tension as well. She couldn't say anything, and could only nod in agreement.

"Huh, the lights in the gym are still on! Let's go check it out," Yachi said, running towards the door. She peeked in, with Mitsuko following closely behind. "Eh, you two aren't heading home yet?"

Mitsuko peeked behind the blonde, and saw Kageyama and Hinata wheeling out a trolley of volleyballs.

"If you guys don't mind, can you help us throw some balls?" Hinata asked.

Within moments, the two began practicing. Kageyama continued setting balls, however Hinata failed to hit a single one with his eyes open. Soon enough, Kageyama grew frustrated and the two began arguing.

"P-please don't fight you two! Calm down," Yachi hesitantly yelled.

"I want to be able to fight for myself!" Hinata exclaimed, frustrated.

At this point, Kageyama couldn't hold it in. Clutching Hinata's collar, he snapped. "Your selfiness is going to destroy the team's balance!" He yelled, throwing Hinata to the ground.

"H-hey, stop this!" Yachi began to panic.

"Hitoka, go get a senpai. Hurry!" Mitsuko pushed  Yachi towards the door. "This is getting bad. I'll try to get them to calm down but we're gonna need someone to help us."

Yachi stared at Mitsuko, before taking a glance at the boys. She saw Hinata charging towards Kageyama and, in fear of what would happen next, ran out the gym.

"Hey! Guys, stop this." Mitsuko yelled to the two.  But it was no use, they couldn't hear her. Soon enough, the two were fighting intensely and all Mitsuko could do was look on hopelessly. Should she intervene? Or would that make things worse? Heck, would she even be able to stop the two?

Just then, Tanaka ran into the gym, running towards the two boys. "Cut this out, you two!" He continued running towards them and punched the two in the face.

"GAH!" Yachi exclaimed. "I-is everyone alright."

Mitsuko sighed in relief. "At least they've stopped fighting now.

Tanaka clapped his hands together. "Alright, let's break it up now and head home. If you need to argue, do it with words, not by fighting."

Begrudgingly, the two boys grumbled, agreeing to their senpai's demands. Mitsuko and Tanaka began picking up the balls as Yachi helped treat their wounds.

"Alright, Hinata, walk home with Yachi while Kageyama, you walk home with Mitsuko." Tanaka ordered. "You guys live in the same direction anyways."

"E-eh, no it's okay!" Yachi said, waving her hands. It would be difficult to suddenly be alone with Hinata after what had just happened. "Besi-"

Tanaka interrupted the girl. "Nope! It's too late right now so they'll accompany you." And with that, he pushed the first years out of the gym.

---

The walk home between Kageyama and Mitsuko was an awkward one. There was great tension in the air as the two walked side by side in silence. After what seemed like an eternity, Kageyama spoke up.

"Do you think that I was... wrong..?" he asked rather timidly. This question surprised Mitsuko as it seemed like Kageyama really believed that his thinking was the ultimate answer back in the gym. Now, however, he was rethinking it, and possibly, he was even regretting his actions.

The girl shook her head.

"I don't think you're wrong. The quick you guys have is an amazing weapon, especially when used well. It's a main part of the team's offense and I can see that. But.. I don't think you're 100% right either," she said softly.

Mitsuko took a glance at the setter before speaking again.

"I think Hinata has a point. You all have room to grow, and sticking to the quick, no matter how fast it is, may not be the best choice."

Silence fell between the two yet again. Kageyama was in deep thought while Mitsuko was feeling uneasy. Was she being too blunt? Or did she say the wrong thing? She hoped that what she had said wouldn't make things worse. Making their way towards the bus stop, Mitsuko clutched her backpack straps and waved good-bye to Kageyama.

With the bus now in sight, Kageyama turned around and began walking without saying anything. However, he stopped in his tracks a few meters away. Without turning around, he whispered.

"Thanks for earlier... I can think about things a little more calmly now."

Once he was done, he briskly walked away, disappearing in the dark. Meanwhile, Mitsuko got on the bus that had arrived while Kageyama had spoken. With a smile plastered on her face, glad to have helped the setter, she fell asleep on her trip home.

---

Stepping out of the shower, Mitsuko dried her hair with a towel. With her phone in one hand and the towel in the other, she checked her messages to see one from Kageyama.

He was asking the girl if she would accompany him to a professional volleyball player's class tomorrow after school. Mitsuko grinned. Kageyama must've been thinking deeply about Hinata's wishes. With great speed, she replied back, happy to be able to accompany the setter.