Chapter 6 - Discovered?

"Hmm, 38℃. You'll have to stay home today, Mitsu," the girl's mother stated, looking at the thermometer. She shook her head. "I can't believe you came home soaking wet yesterday!"

Mitsuko chuckled slightly, rolling up into an even tighter ball.

"Anyways, you can't get out of bed at all today!" Her mom turned around and walked towards the door. "Be a good girl and just sleep!" She pointed at the sickly girl as she slowly closed the door. "I'll be watching you Mitsuko.. you better not get up."

The girl put her hands up, surrendering to her mother's intense warnings. Once the door had been closed, Mitsuko laid back down, covering herself with her blanket.

Thinking about yesterday, she thought about what she should say. Should it be kept as a secret? Should she tell them? Or should she make up an excuse? She had no idea what to do. The more she thought, the sleepier she got. Slowly, her eyelids felt heavier by the second, and the warmth of the blanket slowly enveloped her into the darkness.

  ---

Ba-dump. Ba-dump.

Yachi's heart was beating like crazy. It was her first time visiting another classmate's house, not to mention that the said classmate was mad at her. Gathering all her courage, she rang the doorbell.

Ding-dong. Ding-dong.

The door opened.

"Oh, hello there~" a male voice said. "Are you here to visit Mitsuko?"

Yachi froze. Slowly, she looked up to see a tall, handsome, brunette boy standing at the door. "Y-y-yes. I-I'm her classmate!" The blonde stuttered.

"Tooru, who is it?" Yachi heard a woman yelled.

The boy responded. "It's Mitsuko's friend. I'll let her in!" He then turned to Yachi. With a sweet smile, he asked her to come in to which the blonde obliged.

'Waaah, he's so good looking?! Who is he!? Mitsuko's boyfriend?!' Yachi wondered as she stole glances at the boy. While she wasn't interested in love, that didn't mean that the blonde couldn't recognize beautiful people. In fact, she was quite sure that Mitsuko was actually a stunning beauty after catching a glimpse of her uncovered face during the rare times the brunette had adjusted her bangs.

"Anyways, I'll be going now, Obasan," said the boy as Yachi was still deep in thought.

"Alright, good luck at practice Tooru!" The middle aged woman replied.

After the boy had left, the woman walked up to her daughter's classmate. "Seeing as Mitsu is still asleep, shall we have some snacks and tea before checking up on her?" She suggested.

"A-ah, y-yes! Let me help you out!" The blonde stuttered, snapping out of her thoughts. "Ah! Thats right, how impolite of me.. I haven't introduced myself," she continued, bowing to the older woman. "My name is Yachi Hitoka. I sit behind Aoyama-san in class and I'm in the same club as her!"

The woman chuckled. "It's nice to meet you, Yachi-chan."

  ---

Slowly opening her eyes, Mitsuko woke up. 'Hmmm,' she thought. 'It feels like someone was here.' She laid in her bed for a bit before shaking her head. "There's no way," she muttered.

Gradually, she got herself out of bed. While she felt better, it was no mistake that she was still groggy and sick. The brunette slowly made her way downstairs with small shaky but determined steps, as she was eager to get some food into her. When she was several steps away from the kitchen, Mitsuko could hear someone speaking.

"Ehhh!?!? Mitsu joined the volleyball team? Is she enjoying it?" She heard her mother ask.

''Huh, who's she talking to?''

"Y-yes! She's one of the managers," A female voice replied. "But I think we made her uncomfortable yesterday.."

Mitsuko's eyes widened the moment she realized who it was. Sprinting to the kitchen, she burst into the room with a loud bang.

"LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT IT OK?!" the brunette shouted, grasping desperately onto the door frame.

"G-gyahh!" The blonde screamed, falling backward onto her chair. Meanwhile, Mitsuko's mother let out a small screech as she jumped in her seat.

"Geh! Yachi-san!" Mitsuko yelled.

"MITSUKO I TOLD YOU TO STOP DOING THAT!"

Mitsuko winced, feeling a pang in her head and extreme lightheaded. "Sorry mom.. it seemed like you were going to talk about the accident and I got anxious."

"..Accident?..." Yachi repeated.

Mitsuko clasped her hand around her mouth, realizing what she had just said. "Sorry Yachi-san but can you pretend like you didn't hear that?" the brunette pleaded. She could slowly feel herself losing strength in her legs. "I'm not quite comfortable talking about it yet.."

"Oh su- AOYAMA-SAN?"

The brunette lost consciousness and collapsed, falling to the ground.

"Mitsu!?!" Her mother yelled, rushing over to her side. She felt her daughter's forehead, her expression growing more serious. "Geez, this stupid girl! Her fever has gotten worse!"

"A-ah, is there anything I can do to help?" The blonde asked, clearly worried.

"Thank you Yachi-chan, but please go home for now. I wouldn't want you catching her fever." The woman replied.

Yachi listened to her command and quickly gathered her things.

"Oh, and please keep quiet about what happened today, I'm sure Mitsuko would appreciate it," Mitsuko's mother added.

Nodding her head, Yachi quickly left the Aoyama household. Millions of questions were racing through her mind, but she knew it wasn't the time to ask. Mitsuko-chan, her already mysterious classmate, only became more elusive and unknown to her after today's incident. What was the accident that Mitsuko  was referring to? And why was she so agitated about it?