Chapter 13 - Fleeting

"So, Kei-chan, as you know, 4 years ago I was scouted," Mitsuko began.

Akaashi nodded. He remembered how she had told him the news. While she was sad to leave him behind, the girl was excited — she'd be able to play overseas, maybe even get a scholarship for university if things went well. She told him about all the things she wanted to achieve in Canada, even when it meant that the brunette had to sacrifice her entire youth for it.

"Things were amazing the first couple of years. The trouble though, came in my third year," the brunette whispered.

"..Are you talking about the accident?"

The girl hesitated before speaking. "No... it actually began before that."

She looked at the dark sky, the stars glittering brightly. The brunette swung her feet before turning to Akaashi, smiling regretfully.

"I did messed up during an important match. I ruined the team's chances. Destroyed the expectations of everyone around me. It was a mess, Kei-chan."

She didn't know how things went so wrong. What made it even worse was that it was her fault. It was because of her that things began to fall apart. That her team members reacted this way. That she got so hurt.

The setter stared at the girl. Her small body looked so fragile as she recalled the past. It reminded him, just slightly, of the child she used to be. He put a hand on her back, gently patting her.

"I- I don't want to go too into details but that was the beginning. It ruined the team dynamic and every day seemed to get worse," the girl mumbled. "I realized that how they viewed me was different."

Tears began to well up in her eyes. Even if she was told it wasn't her fault by the adults, keep down she knew. She was a disappointment. A girl that was easy to deceive. A fool.

"Take your time," Akaashi said softly. He was still patting Mitsuko on the back, comforting her.

Steadying herself, she took a few deep breaths to calm down. Having Akaashi pat her back was comforting — it took her back to their childhood whenever Akaashi would console her. Whether she got hurt, or someone was picking on her, Akaashi was always there to comfort her just like now. No matter how long it'd take, even if it was hours , he'd stay by her side until she was feeling okay again.

Several minutes passed by before Mitsuko finally felt ready to speak again.  "After all of that, thats when the accident happened. I lost the last thing I had — volleyball — and drove myself into a dark tunnel."

She shrunk into the bench, feeling overwhelmed again. Aside from Yachi, it was the first time she'd gone this in detail about what had happened, even if it wasn't much detail at all.

"I pretty much broke down and treated everyone who stuck by me horribly. Then I met someone and they made life just a bit brighter. Things seemed like it would be okay again. I was beginning to go back to being who I used to be. But even for them it was too much.." the girl's voice cracked.

"I was too much."

After a brief pause, she continued "I couldn't handle staying there anymore so I told mom it was time to move back. I needed to escape."

Mitsuko recalled the moment she told her mother she wanted to return to Japan. The woman had a conflicted look on her face. Her daughter, after so many months of suffering had finally asked for a request. Using the same gentle tone she had used for the last few months, her mother asked one question.

"Would it make you happier?"

Hearing those words, the girl stood in her spot, frozen. Would she be happier? She had no clue. But would running away make her feel better? Yes, at least temporarily. But what about after? Would she be happy after that?

"I.. I don't know mom," she answered truthfully.

The girl chuckled. "But, I guess its obvious she caved in," Mitsuko said, looking Akaashi in the eye. "After all, I'm here now."

The boy stared back at the brunette taking in what she'd just told him. He hesitated before speaking, knowing it was a sensitive question, but he needed to know.

"What happened while you were preparing to move back?" He asked. From what the girl had just said, it seemed she was in such a dark place. Her current behaviour hardly showed any of that though. "How are you dealing with your feelings?"

Mitsuko paused. She knew Akaashi was concerned, but didn't think he'd ask such a question.

"I made a deal with my mom. I got some help and found a new way to let out my feelings. But.." she trailed off, frowning a bit. "I kept running into people who ruined my progress, so our whole process of moving sped up."

The setter sat still for a moment yet again, before asking a question. "Then, Mitsuko, did moving make you happier?"

The girl gave him a sad smile before responding.

"Just a little."