you can count on me

Present day

"Driving home for Christmas.. I can't wait to see those faces.." Zayn sang along to the Christmas music playing through his speakers.

He had been driving home from a business trip he was on the past week. It had ended today, of all days. Christmas Eve.

Of course his husband was at home on edge. That was something typical Harry always did. He was always very protective of Zayn. Zayn loved him more and more every time he called just make sure Zayn was driving slowly. Just in case there was black ice on the road.

Zayn had loved Harry ever since he met him. He never knew he did for most of that time, but Harry grew on him, just as he grows on everyone.

Christmas was their day. Literally. It was their anniversary, their first kiss, the day they finalized their adoption. Absolutely everything.

They had traditions, so many traditions. They'd take an annual ugly Christmas sweater photo, even since their son Lars turned fifteen and never wanted to be apart of it.

They'd sing carols, and host their annual Christmas Eve dinner with their entire family.

Zayn loved Christmas. Especially because he got to spend it with the love of his life year, after year, after year.

When Zayn came to a stop sign, his phone rang. Harry.

He answered it, and listened to Harry's voice boom through the cars speaker system.

"Hi love," Harry spoke, as he did in every other call. "How are you? Driving slowly?"

Zayn checked his watch and nodded, not that Harry could see. "I'm driving safely babe,"

He started driving again.

"Lars wants to talk to you," Harry said. "He just came home now, and he wants to tell you something,"

"Did he get a girlfriend?" Zayn asked, his hopes jumping.

"Definitely not," Harry joked, and after that Zayn heard Lars spit out an impatient hey in the background.

"Lemme hear what he has to say love," Zayn said. "Lars?"

"Hi Dad," Lars' voice outdid Harry's. "Are you driving safely?"

"Not you too," Zayn huffed sarcastically. "But yes, I'm driving very safely,"

"Good," Lars smiled. Zayn could hear it. "Anyways, I have good news!"

"Tell me bud," Zayn answered. "What's up?"

"I made the basketball team," Lars spoke, excitement in his tone. He was waiting for Zayn's reaction. "The email went out today,"

"Really?!" Zayn grinned. "All of your practise with Liam paid off didn't it?"

"It sure did," Lars smiled. "I wanted to tell you and Dad first.. I'll call Liam after.."

Dad was something Zayn and Harry never quite established properly with Lars. As they adopted him when he was ten, he had always called the two by their first names until recent years. 

It was funny, as when Lars called "Dad!" both Harry and Zayn would turn. Lars didn't mind having two dads, in fact he loved it. He loved Zayn and Harry very much.

"We're more important than Liam!" Harry's voice spoke, and Zayn smiled at the sound of his deep accent.

"Indeed," Zayn nodded. "I better get on with my driving, I'm near I promise,"

"You said that three hours ago Dad," Lars interjected, and Harry added a sassy exactly in the background.

"Two more hours to go!" Zayn quickly said, enthusiastically.

"Alright babe, we'll call soon okay?" Harry spoke, awaiting Zayn's answer.

"I don't doubt that," Zayn said. "I love you both,"

Harry's voice became soft. Zayn heard his emotion. "We love you too,"

The line went dead after their goodbyes, and Zayn continued his drive, turning up the radio.

Last Christmas by Wham! was playing.