and presents on the tree

Adoption day

Harry fiddled with the hem of his dress shirt. "I pray we get her," He whispered, as Zayn secured his hand around his waist.

Harry ignored, and began pacing, wiggling out of Zayn's grip. "There's something about her Z.."

"I know," Zayn mumbled, pulling Harry close to him and pressing a kiss against his temple. "I know babe,"

"I don't know.. It's just.. When I held her.. I.. I just knew, you know?" Harry continued on, Zayn agreeing and reassuring him.

"Maliks?" The nurse that had been inside the hospital room opened the door. "Miss Balock would like to see you,"

Harry nodded and quickly went in front of Zayn and into the room.

Harry could've broken when he saw another set of parents in there, filling out forms.

Elizabeth Balock was laid in her bed tears running down her cheeks. It was Christmas Eve and there she was giving up the only love she had ever had.

She was eighteen, she wasn't ready to be a mother. She wanted to live. She wanted to travel, go to college.

She couldn't do that with her daughter here with her. She knew it was the only option to give her to parent who'd take care of her the way Elizabeth would if she could.

And Harry had the strongest feeling in the world that him and Zayn were going to get the little girl. Harry had already chosen a name, Harry had prepared everything.

Zayn had painted their guest room pink and white. Little textured flowers were painted on the one white accent wall and Harry had stocked the room with everything they would need.

You might say that this may seem like a bit too much as they haven't even been granted the child yet.

But Harry didn't think so, Harry had such a burning feeling that it was going to happen for them.

Harry held back his tears as Elizabeth turned to him and Zayn. "She's got parents," Elizabeth whispered, wiping her continuous stream of tears.

Harry nodded, biting his tongue.

Elizabeth continued. "Thank you though," She murmured. "Thank you so much,"

"Can I give you a hug love?" Zayn asked, touched by her bravery. 

Elizabeth nodded, and whilst Zayn hugged her, she broke down more.

"Thank you Elizabeth," Harry spoke, feeling his vision blur.

He thought he was certain they had a chance.

As Zayn parted with Elizabeth, he noticed Harry and wished the little ones new parents good luck with a smile as he departed the room with Harry who broke down the minute Elizabeth's door shut.

"It's Christmas Eve," Harry sobbed, falling into Zayn's arms. 

"It's Christmas Eve," Zayn nodded, rubbing circles on Harry's back. "I thought we had a chance,"

"I thought we had one," Harry spoke into Zayn's jacket. "I really did,"

Zayn parted Harry's hug and pressed his lips against Harry's.

"I love you,"

Harry shook his head. "Is it because we're gay?"

This caused more tears. 

Zayn brought Harry into his arms again, treating them like a safe haven.

Because they were for Harry. They always were.

When Harry had brought his breathing back to a steady pace, the two made their way out of the maternity ward until one room caught Harry's eye.

A little boy was sat on the bed sucking a red lollipop. He had a light chocolate complexion with bright blue eyes and curly hair Harry noticed from a mile away.

"Z," Harry stopped walking and grabbed Zayn's arm. "What's he doing here?"

"I don't know love," Zayn shrugged.

Harry didn't let it go. "This is the maternity ward? Isn't somebody going to need that room?"

"Love, the doctors know what to do. They know what they're doing. Let's get on home now, shall we?"

Harry ignored Zayn and walked over to the room, knocking on the door.

Zayn was still stood in the hallway watching. 

Harry conversed with the nurse for what seemed to be ages.

Zayn just stood there. In shock mostly.

When Harry came back, he handed Zayn a file.

Lars was his name.