Chapter 1

Wolf

The wind rustles past my ears and I can hear the distant chirping from the trees. The forest is calm yet alive as the oblivious rabbit before me. I push my weight onto my haunches and sprint forward and- So close! I sight the rabbit's tail as it escapes under the tree and out of my reach. I growl and my stomach growls back as a seemingly dry response. I suddenly hear a strange sound, a twig cracking, followed by the crunching of leaves and needles. My ears perk up and I turn around. I slowly approach in the direction of the noise, barely brushing the undergrowth. Before me stands a strange figure, a tall girl hooded with a bright red cape.

I startle as she turns around and looks straight into my eyes. A shiver goes down my spine as her pine green eyes stare into mine, their shine comparable to the moon's. She slowly advances toward me, bending down to her knees. The gall this girl has, walking up to a wolf without a care. I growl and bare my teeth, trying to scare her off.

"Hello, Mister Wolf," she says and holds out the palm of her hand, acting like she's in some sort of petting zoo. My intimidating canines don't seem to be working very well. Getting no reaction, she stands back up to full height. "I'm going to my grandma's house, what about you? Where is the noble Mister Wolf off to this fine day?" I growl in response to her question and disappear into the brush. She sighs and I hear her footsteps recede behind me.

My stomach growls again, reminding me of my predicament. I prowl until I find a chubby brown squirrel near the base of a tree, quietly munching on a nut. I stalk towards it until I'm within pouncing distance. I leap and quickly kill it with a strike of my paw.

A few minutes later, I'm finally relaxed and sitting at the base of another tree, quietly eating my squirrel.