Chapter 1

2 years after the War

"C'mon, you can do better than that," Cassian urged, looking down at Ariciya, who lay on her back with a scowl. He'd just handed her ass to her in hand-to-hand combat. It took him a mere three minutes to trip her and pin her to the floor of the training room. "I've seen you beat up males twice your size at the camp with no problem at at all."

"Well," she began, grabbing his outstretched hand and hoisting herself back up, "most guys at the camp aren't as good as the High Commander of the Illyrian army."

The male clutched his chest and gasped, feigning offense. "I think you mean none of the males at camp are as good as me, Cici."

"You wish," his trainee scoffed, hands planted on her hips. Smirking, she remarked, "You should watch out, commander. I might dethrone you as the best fighter in history."

At that, Cassian threw his head back and laughed. "You wish," he replied, using her previous words against her.

She pouted and walked to the edge of the ring, picking up one of the sparring swords. "We still have a few minutes before I have to get back to work. One more round?"

A smirk bloomed across the male's face as he followed her and picked up his sparring sword. "You up for it?"

"You've been training me for over a decade. I'm sure you know my answer, Cassie," she answered, grinning as she returned to the center of the ring.

"You've always got to have the last word," he chuckled, following her. They shifted into a battle stance, legs spread shoulder-width apart. For a moment, the room was silent save for the sound of their breaths. Then, they shot into motion.

Their swords locked together between them. Ariciya's deep brown eyes bore into Cassian's hazel eyes with amusement.

With a strong push, Cassian sent her stumbling back a couple paces.

She staggered back before quickly regaining her footing and dodging his next attack, spinning to the right. Sliding down, she stuck out her leg and swept him off his feet. He landed on his back with a sharp thud.

Cassian rolled over and stood up, surging forward with a barrage of attacks. Sweat pooled on Ariciya's brow as she parried and blocked each hit with precise timing. Years of sparring led to them knowing each other's tendencies. That made them formidable foes.

They danced around each other, locking horns and pushing before breaking away. Ariciya's eyes ravaged Cassian's form as his did to her. Their wings were tucked in close as to not nick each other on accident. A corner of Cassian's mouth quirked up as he noticed her knuckles turning white. "Relax, Cici."

She pressed her lips together and leapt forward.

Five minutes passed, and there was still no victor. Ariciya cocked her head and asked, "Ready to give up, commander?"

Panting softly, Cassian raised his sword higher and replied, "Never."

Smirking, the female swiped low with her leg before slashing higher with her sword, causing him to lean back. With a swift kick, she sent his sword skidding across the floor.

Before he could react, she tossed her own sword to the side and charged straight at him, ramming into his chest and bowling him over.
With a knee pressed against his sternum, she proclaimed, "I win."