Chapter 4

Rhysand and Feyre turned as the sound of Ariciya's footsteps approached them. The young Illyrian stopped in front of them with a satchel slung over her shoulder.

"Going somewhere, Cici?" Rhys inquired, raising a brow.

"Well, I figured that since you will be heading out of the court and Cassian can't accompany you, I'd take his place," Ariciya explained, checking the weapons strapped to her hip. Thin daggers glinted in the sunlight as she made sure they were secure.

"We've already told you that we can take care of ourselves," Rhysand replied. "Besides, we're going to Adriata on business matters, not for vacation."

Ariciya planted her hands on her hips. "But you're letting Nesta go with you—why can't I go?"

Rhys, for once, didn't immediately respond. The trip to Adriata was purely for business between the Night Court and the Summer Court—save for Nesta, who'd insisted on going. They were supposed to leave five minutes ago. Mor—surprisingly—had winnowed Nesta to Adriata already with minimal protest. He looked over his shoulder and made eye contact with his mate, pleading for help.

Feyre just cocked her head to the side, her arms crossed. "I don't see why not," the High Lady said. "It is a beautiful city and she's always talked about visiting."

"You're on her side?"

Blue-violet eyes bore into blue steel as they came to a collective decision. Ariciya looked back and forth between the two, still bewildered by the capabilities that the mating bond granted them. Feyre shot Rhysand a look that made him sigh defeatedly.

As Rhys's attention turned back to the Illyrian, he remembered how young Ariciya really was. At 26 years old, she still had the whole world ahead of her. He sighed and muttered, "Just don't do anything embarrassing while we're there."

Ariciya grinned, her folded wings tensing in excitement. "You won't even know I'm there."

"We'll see about that," Rhysand murmured, mostly to himself.

Feyre rolled her eyes. "It won't be so bad. Besides, she can handle herself."

"Right." Rhys held out his hands for Ariciya and Feyre to grasp before winnowing away to the Summer Court.

The distant sounds of waves crashing onto the beach greeted them as Rhys winnowed right to the front gates of the palace. Gulls flew overhead, basking under the warm sun. A cool ocean breeze caressed her face as sentries arrived and escorted them into the towering palace.

Rays of golden sun warmed her light brown skin, slowly but surely lulling her into a drowsy state. Resisting the urge to sun her wings, Ariciya followed closely behind Feyre and Rhys, eyes as wide as dinner plates. The palace towered over the city of Adriata, the stone exterior bleached by the sun and salty air. Engravings of sea creatures and shells adorned every doorway and windowpane, which paid homage to the beautiful coastline that was the center of life in Adriata. Her eyes darted from wall to window to artwork, trying to take in all the details.

Despite the hot and humid weather, the hallways of the palace were surprisingly cool. It must've been a special shield to keep out the elements. When they all finally reached the meeting room, an arm shot out in front of her.

"Wait out here," the sentry ordered. Ariciya opened her mouth to protest when Rhys stepped in.

"Please just wait here," Rhysand pleaded. "And don't break anything."