Chapter 6

"You're letting her do what?" Cassian exploded, fire burning in his eyes. His face contorted into a snarl as he stalked over to Rhysand. "Of all the things you let her do, you let her go to the Continent on a mission that could get her killed?"

"She insisted on going," Rhysand replied, not budging an inch. Voice level, he continued, "Ariciya knows what she's doing."

That seemed to calm Cassian down slightly. But, his shoulder remained tensed and his fists stayed clenched at his sides. "But that doesn't mean—" Cassian cut off as Ariciya returned to the office with Azriel at her side.

Frowning, she hesitated for a moment before entering. "What's going on?"

Cassian sighed, crossing his arms and looking at her with a disgruntled expression. "You're not going to the Continent, Cici."

Her eyes widened and immediately shot accusingly to Rhysand, whose face was like stone. "You told him?"

"He was going to find out sooner or later," Rhys replied apologetically, his violet eyes dull.

Ariciya looked back to Cassian, who stood in front of her like a brick wall. "You can't tell me what I can and can't do," she said.

"I outrank you," Cassian replied, a slight growl at the end of the sentence. "And I'm telling you that you are putting your life and others unnecessarily at risk by going on the mission with Azriel and Lucien."

"Your High Lord and High Lady already gave me permission to go. I'm going to the Continent whether you like it or not," she snarled back. Ariciya stepped closer to him, getting up in his face. "And you can't change my mind."

"It's not safe for you over there," he growled. Poking her chest with a finger, he said, "If a war starts between Prythian and the Mortal Queens, it will be because of you."

Ariciya exhaled slowly, as if she were deflating. Her shoulders slumped slightly, but was quickly disguised as she shot him a tight-lipped smile. "You don't trust me."

It was Cassian's turn to be surprised, stepping back as if he'd been hit. "That's not what I meant--"

"I'm not a little girl anymore," she said, stepping toward him. Her voice grew louder with each passing word. "You don't have to protect me and watch my every move. You may outrank me, but this is not the army we're talking about. This is what needs to be done to protect Prythian so your soldiers don't get shot out of the sky during battle."

The male looked to Azriel, who was standing quietly by the door. "You agree with all this?"

Azriel crossed his arms and shook his head. "It's her decision. You can't expect her to play it safe forever, brother."

"Cassian, I'll be fine--"

"No. You don't know what's over there on the Continent," Cassian interrupted. "It's too dangerous."

"Why are you so against me going?" Ariciya asked, glaring at him. "It can't only be because it's dangerous; since when is my life not dangerous?"

Cassian stilled, then opened his mouth to respond, but then shut it.

"Is it that you don't trust me?" Ariciya suggested, brows furrowed.

Cassian didn't respond.

"Do you not think I can handle it because I'm oh-so fragile and young and naive?" Her voice cut through him like a knife.

Still no response.

Ariciya gave him a tight smile, her eyes burning. Taking a deep breath, she murmured, "Good to know." She turned on her heel and strode out of the room, holding in a shaky breath.

The boys stood silently, staring at the door.

"It's her choice," Rhysand said quietly, his heart sinking as he sensed Cassian crumbling. He patted Cassian's shoulder. "I tried to talk her out of it, too. She's just like you but possibly more stubborn."

"Right," Cassian trailed off before also leaving. "I'll see you later."

After Cassian left, Rhys turned his attention to the remaining person in the room. Though most would've seen Rhys's expression as stone-cold, Azriel knew better. It was a silent plea from his brother.

Azriel nodded. "You have my word."

Rhysand slipped his hands into his pockets and took a deep breath. "One of us should go talk to her."

"I'll do it," Azriel answered before slipping into the shadows on a search for a certain female.

When he suddenly materialized next to her, Ariciya yelped in surprise. A muffled bang echoed through the library as the top of her head hit one of the many bookshelves.

Ariciya groaned and leaned back against the shelves, her arms crossed tightly over her chest. A muscle in her jaw flexed as she clenched her jaw shut, trying to keep her breathing even.

The Spymaster gave her a small apologetic smile and slowly sat down next to her. He said, "I'm sorry you had to hear that."

"Cassian was just being Cassian, I guess," she commented, shrugging her shoulders.

Azriel shook his head. "No, he was afraid. He knows you can take care of business."

"He just doesn't trust me," Ariciya added on, finally meeting his eyes. "He knows that I can do this, but doesn't trust that I can. There's a difference."

Sighing, Azriel wrapped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed slightly. In a soft voice, he said, "I've known Cassian for a long time, and I can tell you with complete certainty that it's more fear than distrust."

Ariciya scoffed, "Yeah. He fears that I can't do it when the time comes." She rested her head on his shoulder, molding against the warm body next to her.

"You're wrong," Azriel said. "It's a different type of fear."

"Really?" she questioned, a brow arching up. "I don't see him telling you not to go."

The corners of his lips turned up slightly. "I've been doing this for almost half a millennia, Cici. It's an occupational hazard."

"Well, I don't think him being worried warrants commanding me to stay here," Ariciya commented, playing with a button on her gauntlet. Off and on. Off and on.

"I can go talk to him," Azriel suggested, standing up. The light from the window illuminated the edges of his form, the light above his head like a halo. He held out a hand for her to take.

Grabbing his scarred hand, Ariciya was pulled up onto her feet. She shook her head. "No, I'll talk to him. If anyone needs to get through to him, it's me."

"You might need to wait a couple hours," he replied, hooking his thumbs on his belt. "He left after you did, and I don't think he'll be back very soon."

"He probably went to Rita's."

He did.

Ariciya jumped as a familiar voice popped into her head, as clear as if he were standing next to her.

Mother above, you have to stop scaring me like that, Rhys.

Azriel watched on in amusement as she silently furrowed her brows and made facial expressions that the High Lord could not see.

You'll get used to the little bond we have eventually.

"No wonder Feyre is always so annoyed with you."

A low, rumbling laugh escaped Azriel, his shoulders quaking slightly. It was then that Ariciya realized she'd replied out loud.

You'll get used to it, Rhys restated smugly.