Chapter 7

Ariciya's head snapped up when she heard rustling and the jingling of keys outside her front door, shutting the book she'd been reading. After realizing Cassian had left the House of Wind, she flew to his townhouse; he would definitely turn up drenched in alcohol. It was only a matter of time before he stumbled home and passed out on the couch.

The door creaked as she opened it, causing Cassian to teeter forward. His cheeks were flushed and his hazel eyes were unfocused, no doubt fazed by the gallons of beer and whiskey he drank at Rita's.

"You're here," he said, frowning at her.

"Of course I am," she replied bluntly, stepping to the side so he could walk in. Once he passed through the doorway, she closed it with a sharp click. "And you know why I'm here, Cassian."

Cassian chuckled darkly, pointing at her. "Oh, I know why you're here. You're here to convince me that sending you to the Continent is a good idea. I hate to break it to you, sweetheart, but it's not."

Ariciya sighed and walked up to him slowly, stopping just within an arm's reach. "Well, at least you're not suddenly supportive of it," she muttered, drawing a scoff from the male.

"Did you really think being drunk would change my mind about you going?" he accused, narrowing his eyes. Despite his intoxicated state, he was even more intimidating rather than less. "Is that how little you think I care?"

"I don't need you to think that it's a good idea for me to go," Ariciya hissed, flicking his shoulder. "I just need you to trust me."

"I do trust you, Cici," Cassian snarled, stepping closer to her. She could smell the alcohol on his breath, which warmed the tip of her nose.

"Then there should be no problem with me going to the Continent to help protect Prythian," she stated shortly, stepping forward so only a few inches remained between them. "I know what I'm doing, so you should just let me go."

"It's more complicated than that—"

She barked out a laugh. "What, Cassian, could make it more complicated?" Ariciya exclaimed, waving her hands around. "When I joined the army, I swore an oath to protect Prythian at all costs. I am no good sitting here on my ass watching Azriel and Lucien put their lives in danger when I could be out there helping them."

Cassian seemed to sober up for a moment at her outburst, inhaling sharply. His hazel eyes softened.

"Do you want to know why I don't want you to go?" Cassian asked quietly.

"Humor me," Ariciya scoffed, crossing her arms. "Go ahead. Go on about how I'm not ready, about how it's best left to the professionals. Believe me, I've heard it all before—"

"It's because I love you!" he shouted, wincing at the stab of pain that shot through his head. Ariciya blinked. Taking a deep breath, he repeated softly, "It's because I love you."

Of course he loved her. They lived together, for Mother's sake! Over the years they laughed and cried together. The look on Ariciya's face when she'd first bested him in a sparring match was engraved into his mind like the dark tattoos that swirled over his shoulders. She was as much a constant in his life as he was in hers.

"You love me," she repeated back to him, her brows furrowed. 

"I do," Cassian replied, silver lining his eyes. His gigantic hands went to her arms, warming her cool skin. "And I can't lose you. Why can't you see that you mean a lot to me?"

Ariciya sighed and cupped his face in her hands. His beautiful, scared face. Softly, she said, "I understand that you don't want to lose me, but this is my job just as much as commanding the armies during a war is yours. I volunteered for it."