ᴏɴᴇ

If I bragged about everything I had to a zombie that zombie would leave me alone, because it would think I was insanely annoying. Random thoughts like this just entered my mind at unsuspecting moments.

I drove down the road at a leisurely speed, occassionally speeding up for the fun of it. I tucked a lock of my brown hair behind my ear and cocked the gun in my one hand with a smile on my face.

I'll admit, this wasn't the smartest and safest way of driving, one hand on the wheel, another with a gun at the ready and the accelerator being toyed with, but I was in the best mood. I also didn't care. What cop is gonna pull me over? Plus I'm wearing a seatbelt so I'm invincible at this moment. What great logic I thought sarcastically.

Rule #4: Seatbelts

From the corner of my eye I could see in the distance two figures standing by a cute little cottage. Normally I would react one of two ways, help the survivors or ignore them.

Despite my good mood I wasn't feeling like helping them so I increased my speed so that I could pass them without a problem.

That was until one of them had the guts to jump infront of my speeding car, dead smack in the center of my lane, flailing their arms like the idiot they were.

Something that sounded like a whale left my mouth as I stepped on the brakes harshly. The car screeched to a stop and I took a moment to breathe.

"Oh my gobble,"

The crazy person, who I now realized was a woman, ran towards my side of the car and vigorously hit on the mesh wiring. By vigorous I mean, so harsh it could actually make a dent, vigorous.

I let out an irritated huff and rolled down the window slightly just so that I could hear the person.

"What do you want?" I hissed at her. She sniffled and that's when I really looked at her. Red cheeks, puffy eyes, dried up tear streaks, crusty top lip, probably from all the snot that left her nose.

"Please help," and a dry throat. She vaguely answered my question before running off to the other figure, who I realized was a child, that was sitting down on the grass.

The irritation that was coursing through me calmed down a little at the sight of her. I sighed and checked the bullets in my gun before exiting through the hatch in the roof. I had a soft spot for children but the possibility of a near by zombie overpowered it so I had to be helpful and careful.

When I got closer, I examined the young girl. She was almost in the same state as the woman. They both had similar features so I guessed they were sisters. The major difference I saw was the bright red mark on her arm.

"What happened?" I asked, even though it was obvious. A frown graced my face and I crouched down while putting my gun in my waist holster.

"She got bitten," she vaguely responded ince again. I know it's a simple response but I need details. When? By who? For all we know she could've been bitten by some hysterical survivor who was also hungry.

"A zombie attacked us at our hideout, but we managed to outrun it," the younger one explained in more detail.

"That's rough," I commented and scooted closer towards her. I smiled kindly and rubbed her non-injured arm comfortingly.

"I know what happens after this," the little one spoke up, "I know I'll turn," she smiled somberly and looked at her sister with little tears in her eyes.

"We already said our goodbyes, we just didn't have the weapon," The older one said and looked at the gun holster hidden by my jacket.

"So you want me to be the one to pull the trigger?" They both nodded in sync.