Discovering Miradero ~Ch. 1~

I run on the red cracking canyon, my hoofs making a "clip-clop" noise on the solid rock. I run a short distance behind Spirit, who, if you must know, is my mate. My white coat shimmering in sunlight. The grey speckles spread over my coat contrasted the ocean of white. I let out a blissful whinny, happy to run alongside Spirit. He turns his head slightly, and copies me, a slightly lower whinny noise emitting from him. He stops at the edge of the canyon, as I slow down to a trot, and stop next to him.

We look out to the mountains, the trees, and the vast plains and mountains that surround us. The village catches my eye.

I had always been fascinated by the village, all the people, the horses, just the general feeling of it all. I had never actually been there before, but I know Spirit had. Whenever he came back to the herd, he would always tell me about a girl named Lucky. From what he would tell, she seemed to be a very kind and caring person, which I could only hope for. The only noise you could hear were the distant birds chirping, and Spirit and I breathing long and deep breathes from the run. It was so peaceful, it almost felt as if the world has stopped.

When we felt it was the time to leave, I began to walk back. I head off in the direction of the rest of the herd, and Spirit goes to the village, most likely to spend time with his human friends. Curiosity overtakes me, I had thought about going to the village before, but I had never really actually thought about seriously going there. For some peculiar reason, I felt the burning desire to go to the village. It was a very... odd feeling. I felt as if I needed to go, and if I didn't, the world would swallow me up whole, very logical, right?

I hesitantly make my way away from the herd, earning a few puzzled looks from some horses. It felt weird, walking to Miradero, but it also, strangely enough, was thrilling. Thrilling? I know, walking into town is definitely not thrilling. But for me, it was, don't ask me why, because I don't know. But what I can tell you, is that I realised it may not have been the best idea...

The mountains parted, revealing the relaxed yet buzzing town of Miradero. I pick up a light trot, enthusiastic to see more than the first five houses. I make my way through the dirt road, turning my head left to right, then back to the left again, surveying the range of bakeries and shops. A few people stopped what they were doing, turning to look at the wild horse, simply roaming through the streets, without a care in the world.

My eye catches a man staring at me. He backed away, and ran towards a large building, what I presume to be the governor's building. I squint my eyes at him, but shrug it off. I should have noticed something as off when I saw a large man walk out of the building holding a lasso firmly in his hand. He slowly walked towards me, as I eye him inquisitively. I let out a small nicker, walking slowly towards him. This was all new to me, until now, I had never actually seen a person up close. I did not know what to expect, so, you could probably guess my reaction when he spun the lasso round his head, and hurdles it towards me, landing on my neck. I let out a shrill squeal, rearing up, trying to wiggle out of the weird rope thingy. The man pulls on the rope, and I hear him speak. "Whoa!," He steps closer, tightening the rope. "Easy, easy girl, I won't hurt you," I let out another squeal, slightly rearing up and turning to the side. He lifts something out from behind his back, and moves it towards me. I didn't see it until it came right up to my nose, it was a sack. He quickly tossed it over my head, blinding me. I stopped rearing, unsure of what to do next. I feel a tug on the rope, and follow it, hoping that it would release me if I get close enough to it. I eagerly walk towards the pull, and eventually, the pull stops, and the sack slides off my face. I hear quick footsteps, and a slamming noise.

I take my time to look at where I am. Unfortunately for me, I was trapped in an arena, with a few down to business looking people behind the wooden rails.