Why does it look like that? ~chapter 7~

Misty's POV

I munched on the hay in my stall as Maricela pranced into my stall with a smile on her face.

Lucky, Pru, Abigail and even me all stopped what we were doing and stared at Maricela. She didn't seem to notice their looks as she continued to skip all the way to my stall.

"Guess what Misty? I got us a brand new saddle! My Daddy bought it for me just yesterday!" She clapped her hands, squealing. She ran into the tack room that Pru had banished her to, before coming back out with a clean sleek black saddle. I noticed that this one looked quite a bit different from the other girls saddles. It was a lot smaller and less bulky, and didn't have the saddle horn on it.

Lucky looked over at Maricela's saddle, leaning on the stall door, "Why does it look like that?" She asked. Maricela crossed her arms defensively.

Abigail smiled, her hair bobbing up and down as she chirped, "Because she's riding in an english saddle."

Pru snorted, "Maricela, in case you didn't notice, we're in the west. In the west, we ride western." She held back a laugh as she groomed Chica Linda.

Maricela let out a 'humph' as she uncrossed her arms. "A proper lady never rides in a western saddle. We ride english! Besides, my saddle is made for jumping and is built for better movement and agility. The real question is, why are you not riding in a western saddle?" She held her head high as she fired back confidently.

All three girl's stood there in silence, processing Maricela's confident reply. Pru opened and closed her mouth, jumbled words falling out as she tried to form a complete sentence.

Maricela smiled, effortlessly swinging the black saddle on my back, before also placing the english bitless bridle on me. "The saddles are lighter too!" She laughed, grabbing the reins and leading me out of the barn.

I whinnied in laughter, savoring the look on Pru's face after Maricela put her in her place. Maricela smiled sheepishly, "Let's try this saddle out!" She put her foot in the stirrup, swinging onto my back.

"Oooh!" Maricela said with delight. "This feels much better!" She nudged me into a trot as we entered one of the arenas.

We warmed up for a bit, doing some circles and figure eights around the arena.

Maricela kicked my sides, asking me to move forwards. I trotted faster, doing what her body language was telling me to do. She huffed, pulling the reins back to slow my trot back down, before kicking my sides again. My ears pinned back as I picked up a faster trot again, like she told me to.

Maricela let out an angry 'ugh' sounding grunting noise. She again, pulled on the reins, before nudging me to go faster. I snorted, dropping my head down quickly.

"Whoa!" Maricela yelled as she fell off the side of my back, landing on her butt. She huffed, standing up and wiping the dirt off her white breeches. "Now that's not how you should behave is it?" She said crossly. I let out a snort, walking out of the arena begrudgingly.

Maricela walked into the barn, leading me into my stall with a sour face. She unsaddled me quickly, putting the tack in her tack room. She came back, putting some hay in my stall.

She opened her mouth, placing her hands on her hips. "In a few days a new instructor is coming to town. Maybe then we can make some real progress." Maricela walked out of the barn without another word, closing the barn door behind her.

Say new black bitless bridle ten times fast.

Just as a note, whenever I say kicking (ie: "Maricela kicked Misty into a trot") it doesn't literally mean harsh kicking. When you ask a horse to go forwards, you squeeze, tap or kick. If you ever have any questions on the terms I use, please ask, I'll try to answer any questions you guys have.

When was the last time I even updated? Too long!

Sorry! had a lot of school projects these past few weeks so I had zero time to update. I try updating on Wednesdays whenever I can, but sometimes I don't have time.

I hope you enjoyed!