chapter three

Vote if you enjoy!

The next day we all scramble out of the Burrow at midday and head to Diagon Alley to buy school supplies. When we arrive, we are greeted by the mournful and greying Diagon Alley. Shops closed, the street empty, people talking in hushed voices and glancing over their shoulders. We spend some time in Fred and George's store 'Weasley Wizard Wheezes', though I spend most of my time inspecting their newest goods, not the love potions.

Fred and George made it their mission over summer to involve me in some way. Of all of the Weasley's I had expected them to be the hardest to deal with, but they were kind and patient, friendly and normal. I became their second opinion and I even suggested a few product ideas.

I spent countless hours with them, setting up the shop but also helping with packaging, doing half their artistic designs. They give me a summary of a product, the product name, a preferred colour palette (if there is one) and I start work. I send them the finished design, they say yes or no. The best thing about helping them is how honest they are- They don't bullshit me about what the like and don't like.

Fred and George approach me inspecting the instant darkness powder, grinning proudly. I look up at them, smiling. I put the black piece down and turn to them. I punch them both playfully and jump up and down,

"Look what you guys did!" I squeal, motioning around to the full, light and colourful shop, which they named 'Weasley Wizard Wheezes'. They laugh,

"Us?" They say in unison,

"You helped with most of it, you know," Fred says,

"The shop probably wouldn't be here without you!" George adds, elbowing me.

I look over Fred's shoulder to see Hermione, Harry and Ron waiting to leave. I sigh.

"Now you're both being very sweet, but I must go." The twins wave me off as I head over towards the others.

We step out onto the grey street, and I shiver as a gust of unfriendly wind rushes passed, throwing stray pieces of paper and dust into the air and howling as it goes. As the air settles, I notice how empty it is, how silent it is. The shop fronts are dark and empty, some windows covered in the newspaper from the inside but others left clear, the products once displayed now long gone. The few shops that remain have very little on display so as to avoid attention. As I scan the stone walls and windows, my eyes fall on a shop I barely recognise. I falter, following Hermione, Harry and Ron as they walk over, muttering in disbelief.

We walk over to Olivanders. The shopfront is ruined, the glass in its windows broken, the wood splintered. Thousands of wand boxes lay sprawled upon the floor, paper scattered and flying in the occasional gust of wind. I run my fingers across the worn counter, remembering when he gave me my wand. The first time I'd seen Harry outside of a picture. I remember how badly I'd wanted to talk to him, how jealous I'd been of Hedwig, how small we were.

"Is it just me-" Ron says quietly, and I turn to see him peering through the broken window frames, "Or do Draco and mummy look like two people who don't want to be followed."

I'm at his side in an instant, my eyes falling on the blonde hair I know so well as Draco follows his mother down a small alleyway, glancing over his shoulder. I stop myself from calling out his name, biting my lip. I furrow my brow, stepping outside and walking hurriedly down the street to the alley and peering down it just in time to see Draco disappear around the corner. I quickly follow, Harry reaching for the cuff of my sleeve to pull me back but I yank my hand away. I walk hurriedly, and I hear the others follow me.

The alley grows darker, I can hear muffled voices, I pass a man muttering things into a wall. A cold uneasiness settles in my core and I try to ignore it pushing passed the strangers and trying to ignore the shadows that seem to reach twisted arms out to me. The shadows begin to arch over me, shrouding me in cold when the alley turns to a staircase leading downwards between grey, old buildings until finally, the alley opens up. I hang back in the shadows, pressing myself against the cold stone wall behind me.