chapter thirty-seven

Vote if you enjoy!

We arrive back at the castle just as the sun begins to set, and as the colour of the landscape fades we make our way towards the Great Hall. He glances at me, biting his lip,

"That thing with Dumbledore is tomorrow, isn't it?"

I nod, but seeing the genuine fear in his eyes I take his hand, squeezing it, "I'll be fine, Draco. I promise."

He nods to himself as we reach the doors. He pushes the door open and steps inside, holding it open for me and then walking over to where I can see our friends sitting, chatting cheerfully over their half-eaten dinner. I let the door fall closed behind me, following Draco over.

"...Wait wait wait, I don't understand. Your aunt's cousin's sister-in-law own seven Dragons? Isn't that illegal?"

"We call her cousin Maeve, and yes, very."

I smile at Theodore and Blaise as I sit down opposite Pansy, squeezing between Blaise and Millie. Pansy smiles at me, then nods towards Theodore as if he's telling a fantastical story, though her expression is dripping with sarcasm. Theodore has dirty blonde hair and a thin face. His body is barely any more than twigs stuck together, and his uniform hangs off him. He isn't poorly, just remarkably thin. He has bright blue eyes that stare blankly at Blaise, who frowns,

"Why does she own seven dragons?"

"She's richer than god, Blaise. Wouldn't you own seven dragons if you could afford it?"

"Meave seems to be living the high life." I chuckle, and Theodore leans out, nodding at me and we high five. Blaise rolls his eyes.

Daphne giggles, "How were the in-laws?"

"In-law, actually, singular. She seems nice, if not a bit preoccupied." I say honestly, loading some salad and chicken onto my plate.

Pansy nods, looking down at her plate, "My parents are pretty preoccupied to at the moment."

I swallow, seeing Draco shift in his seat. He has two sad looking piece of chicken and a small collection of green vegetables on his plate, but he doesn't look as though he'll be eating them. I think I should change the subject.

"She was concerned about having grandkids."

"We're all concerned about that," Blaise smirks, and I elbow him.

Our conversation dies down after that. Pansy begins to flick through a newspaper and Daphne decides it's her life mission to eat the entirety of the loaf of garlic bread, though she only gets four pieces in. Millie and Theodore make small talk and Blaise eats his food silently beside me, which is unusual considering he rarely shuts up for this long. Draco moves his food around his plate, occasionally taking bird-sized mouthfuls. Finally, Pansy looks up, frowning.

"I think everything's about to change."

Draco and I look up, seeing her worried expression. Blaise swallows, and Theodore and Millie continue their quiet conversation.

"I mean, people keep disappearing all over the place, and my parents won't talk about any of it, and I know you and Harry are up to something, and when you're up to something it means something's about to happen." Pansy says, biting her lip and looking over at Daphne, "I just, I don't know. I'm scared I guess."

I nod, and she takes a shaky breath, "I'm scared things are never going to be like this again."

"Stay alive you lot, alright? If the shit hits the fan, I want to have someone to survive the storm with." Blaise says, sounding a bit too cheerful.

xxx

I creep into the boy's dorms, walking silently over to Draco's bed and pushing the blankets back. He rolls over, watching as I climb in next to him and smiling as I wriggle down under the covers. He's wide awake. His eyes flicker over my features as our breathing falls into a rhythm.

"Nightmare?" He whispers, rolling over to face me.

I shake my head, "No, not this time."

He reaches a hand up and brushes the hair off my face, swallowing and taking my hand.

"Draco," I murmur, and his eyes meet mine, "Whatever it is that you're scared of, whatever they've asked you to do, I want you to know that..." I pause, "I forgive you."

He doesn't respond, instead pressing a kiss to my forehead and wrapping his arms around me. I sniff, feeling a new fear run through my body. What if this is the last time we're ever like this? Us, alone, curled together, safe and warm.

"Just don't lose yourself, Draco. Don't die fighting for something you hate." I whisper, "Because I don't know what I'd do if all of a sudden you just weren't there. So just... Yeah. I forgive you for whatever you have to do as long as you keep yourself alive."

He kisses me, tears running down his face. I smile at him, wriggling closer and pressing my face into his neck. He doesn't respond to my comments, he doesn't thank me or explain anything or even say the same, he just holds me. I suppose, in a way, that is a response in itself. He's scared to let go of me. But maybe I'm just being ridiculous. I'm probably overreacting. I know he'll be here when I wake up. He'll always be there when I wake up. He always has been in some form, and he always will be.

xxx

Hello!

I'm on a school trip right now and I'm having a great time

I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! We've literally got like only a few to go at the most ten chapters left and that's only if I need that many

I value each and every one of you,

Taylor xx